Monday, July 17, 2006

Train 'Em Young

Yesterday afternoon was quiet and lazy. My older girls are up at camp. My boy was taking a shower (and probably shaving his legs with my razor) and I was hanging at the computer.

My four year old asked me if there was anything she could do to help me. I quickly checked her eyes and breath for drugs/alcohol. Reassured that she was sober and sane, I asked her to take a plate into the kitchen. Predictably, she declined.

She said that she was busy. She had to fold the laundry. The huge basket of clean laundry that had been hanging out in my living room for more then 24 hours.

Sure, honey, you do that.

I fully expected her to pull out one or two dishtowels and fold those. Then she would call it quits.

25 minutes later she handed me a tank top and asked me to help her. She couldn't figure out how to get it turned right side in. I gave her a hand and then went back to reading.

2 minutes later she popped back in to tell me that she was ALL DONE. My jaw hit the floor when I looked into the living room. She had folded every single stitch of clothing.

Hugs and praise followed.

Mommy, I am going to fold your laundry from now on. But you have to remember to turn your undies inside out. Inside in? Outside in?

Yes, darling, I will turn my undies the right way...promise.

Train 'em young, that's my motto. Of course, she probably won't fold another thing until she is 11, but you never know.

(I remembered to take a picture!)

20 comments:

Kelly Wolfe said...

wow, send her to my place when she's done. impressive OTM!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

"Children are in more need of models than critics."

~Penses

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Margaret!!

Cheryl said...

I AM TOTALLY IMPRESSED. I had a similar event happen in my home yesterday. Older sis and I were cooking lunch and little bro came by and wanted to help. We asked him to remove a few items from the kitchen table and take them to their spots. He declined. Oh well...next time!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Great pic. Good for her! I agree train them while young.

Secret Mommy said...

Is she making a gesture to show how big the pile of "un" folded laundry was? Very cute pic and post!!!!! I used to love to fold laundry when I was a kid. It was very satisfying for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Yup, that is how high the pile was in her 4 year old mind.

She is very excited about today's load.

Laundry is a daily ritual around here. Especially since my children feel the need to roll around in mud/water several times a day and then put on clean clothes. I can't seem to get them to keep their muddy/wet ones on. Or get them to put on bathing suits.

Unknown said...

oh that is so great. I want to kiss her little head.

Andreia Huff said...

I went to a conference once where this mother of eight suggested that a 3 yr old could do far more work than anyone ever gives them credit for. (oops)

Anyway, she suggested putting them in the shower with cleaner stuff and a brush and letting them clean tile.

I thought she was nuts but now I regularly hand over very-watered down windex and paper towels and my little guys do the windows. The only trick is you have to give them an ENTIRE roll of paper towels. Which, in MHO is worth it!

Love the folding clothes. I will contend that "gurls" are better at it than boys...from the research done here at least!

me said...

i KNEW girls were better. thanks so much for fwding your info for my SIL. i am sure she will appreciate it.

Bluepaintred said...

and therin lies the difference between a boy and a girl. remind me to take a picture the next time my son "folds" laundry LMAO

also my pinky thru pointer finger just went numb.. try typing with numb fingers, its hard

Anonymous said...

GOOD GIRL!!! :-)

All my kids put away their own laundry, and the two oldest wash and dry their own laundry.

Anonymous said...

Send them my way? I pay well and I hate laundry. LOL

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed - Margaret deserves a special treat!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! Nobody in my house folds laundry. Not even me. I wonder if it's too late to train Girlie?

Angel Baby said...

Wow, amazing!! I'd be hanging that picture on my fridge and praising her every day in hopes of getting it done again.

My clean laundry has been sitting here unfolded for three days. Sigh. I hate folding.

Wes said...

Wow that is so cool. I wish my kids would do that!

Bonnie B said...

Bravo! She is a keeper-- and the laundry doesn't look like it has been folded a blind chimp with only one arm-- good job for her!

Christine said...

Just discovered your blog and had to post a big congrats! Whooo-hooo, a laundry folding child...how wonderful!

Pollyanna said...

Yeah, send her here next. I have laundry coming out ever orfice you can think of! Does she mop too??

What a little sweetie! Good for her, and you.