Monday, July 24, 2006

This WAS NOT in the Job Description

During rest/study time this afternoon the girls and my son rode their bikes to the local cemetery.

The local market is on the way and I am sure they stocked up on forbidden candy and soda. I didn't really care. I just wanted an hour of quiet so that the little one could nap and I could get in some much needed study time.

The cemetery is the largest in Portland. It is very beautifully landscaped with several small ponds. My girls stretch out on their towels and read. My son catches frogs. Perfect summer fun.

45 minutes later, moments after I had fallen asleep with the text book open to preemie infants resting on my chest, they all came crashing through the back door.

Fellow parents know that sound your child makes when something is wrong. It has a distinctly different tone from the mad yell, the sad yell or the frustrated yell. This was the "there is an emergency" yell. I sat straight up in bed. The book hit the floor. My feet followed.

It was my 11 year old daughter doing the yelling. On behalf of her brother. No, he was not comatose. He had a leech on his foot and blood was dripping onto the hardwood floor.

Didn't I write about blood sucking creatures from hell yesterday?

In a crisis I tend to become very calm and focused. It's a talent. I've had a fair amount of practice.

The bleeding boy with critter attached was placed on the bathroom vanity, foot in sink. The 11 year old was sent to retrieve salt from the kitchen.

A shit load of salt and a wee bit of patience later and the leech fell off into the sink. Blood poured from the hole but some pressure and a band-aide fixed that.

Then we spotted the second visitor. This one was hiding between his toes. He too followed his brother down the drain.

Crisis averted. My son even remarked that the whole thing had been fun because "blood was so fascinating!".

Did I mention that I don't do leeches? That they make my skin crawl? That I wanted to run out of the house screaming? Or at least, crawl back into bed and pull the covers up over my head?

But NO! I sucked it up...pun intended. I modeled courage and bravery.

Next time he goes to the pond I am sending him with a salt shaker and a supply of band-aides. If he wants to wade with the frogs, he is old enough to preform his own leech removals.

18 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

EEEEEEEEEEEYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I'd have run screaming from the house. I turn into a raving lunatic in an emergency situation. It's a talent. Snort.

Anonymous said...

Your kid got attacked by blood-sucking leeches while in a cemetary. You are soooo my kind of people.

Unknown said...

that is so gross. You are one strong mama. I have never had one of those, thank God. I think my desire to get that thing off my kid would outweigh the logic you showed.

but Momma said...

GAG! And salt. I'm puttin that piece of useful information in "the file". I can usually maintain my composure, but a leech? I'm not so sure.

Pollyanna said...

OHMYGAWD. I had NO idea that you could get leeches off with salt. Good thing I read this, with my boys this may be a good thing to know. Oh yeah, and you ROCK!

Karla said...

Oh, you lucky gal. Staying calm isn't my talent in real emergencies, but in something like that which is not life threatening I usually combat the grossness by busting up laughing. That's my talent, taking the edge off. I agree, you rock.

Cheryl said...

Okay...I've never had a leach
attached before. Now that I have a heads up on how to get rid of them...I'll avoid where they are!

Never a dull moment with kids...huh?

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GOD. I am bowing to your calm mommy skills. SKILLS!!

meno said...

Dear God! Leeches. Yuck. I would have freaked out and tried to yank it off. It's good to know what to do, and to live where there are no leeches.

Kelly Wolfe said...

dear lord, I seriously need to go lie down right now. I am so horrified/grossed out/impressed by how you handled that.

I honestly feel the need for smelling salts.

Lisa

Christine said...

OMGOOOOOOOOOD! I had to pull my feet up on my chair as I was reading that, just in case a leach had left a local pond and hitched a ride to my living room. You really are calm under pressure. I have never even seen a leach...and probably would have called 911.

My heart rate is still up.

Kara said...

ok, GROSS! All I can think of right now is that scene in Stand By ME....ick ick ick

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Please tell me that's your picture and you stopped to take it as blog evidence before you fixed the problem.

Cause that's something I would do for sure.

Anonymous said...

Great job!

*gag* leeches....EW!

Anonymous said...

HM, No I did not rush to pick up my camera and document the creature that was sucking the blood out of my son. I wanted the thing off and out as soon as possible. I got the pic from google...but it looks very much like what was on his foot.

Bluepaintred said...

right on momma! I have never been confronted by a leech, and I am terrified how Id react , but at least now I know you do something with salt and they are done for!

what exactly do you do? we are going to the lake ( fingers crossed) in august!

Wes said...

Cool! At least you didn't panic, and you knew the salt trick. Well done!

mod*mom said...

grosssss

good picture!