Saturday, July 29, 2006

Damaged for Life?

For the past month most of my free time (ha ha) and a great deal of my energy has gone into studying for my exam. Breastfeeding journals and texts litter the house. Most of my children have glanced briefly at the pictures and then returned to their playing...or fighting. But my 8 year old son finds the pictures in the books fascinating. One particular book has over four hundred color photographers of babies, nipples and breasts in every imaginable shape, color and configuration. Some of the pictures show disturbing pathology. Gross stuff. Yucky, nasty stuff. Gag me with a spoon stuff. He also loves to drop into the sun porch while I am taking practice exams. Not the ones with the text, the ones with the pictures. So my question is this: Will the poor kid be scarred for life? He is fascinated but declares that most of the pictures are "gross". He also wants details. "Why are that woman's nipples red and cracked, Mom?" "Why are those breasts a different size?" "What is up with that baby's mouth?" I try to answer his questions with age appropriate information. I have also repeatedly told him that breasts are made to feed babies. I am just worried that he will never see the human breast as beautiful after viewing so many that are diseased. And keeping the kid out of the sun porch is impossible. IM.POSS.IBLE. Short of duct taping his butt to a chair. (Sigh.) It will all be over on Monday. Maybe if I buy him a copy of Playboy that will help. He isn't reading well yet so I don't have to worry about corrupting his mind with the content. The pictures of normal, although artificially enhanced, breasts may help return some balance to his idea of boobs. Damn, I can't believe that I am considering buying my 8 year old son Playboy. I clearly need a nap, a glass of wine and THIS FUCKING TEST TO BE OVER AND DONE. Signed.....losing it in Maine. 

10 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Nice picture - yikes! Is that one of those "holy crap that looks painful" kind of giggles I hear so much about?

Musings of a Housewife said...

Well, come down and join me! I'm on my 3rd glass of wine! At least your son won't be offended at breastfeeding. Good for you for educating him!! (And no playboys... my conservative self is gonna swoon!)

Unknown said...

I agree with dcrmom, not because of my conservative self, but my raging liberal self feels sorry for the women.
anyway. maybe he will be a doctor. one that is caring, how is that for a change?
How awsome it must be to have a son who is so interested in what you are doing! He won't be scarred. He will be proud of his momma.

meno said...

Hmmm, an 8 year old boy facinated w/breasts. Looks like he's ahead of his age.
Don't get him Playboy, he might be disappointed when he finds out they don't really look like that. :)

Anonymous said...

Have no fear, I don;t plan on buying him Playboy. The pics are just as abnormal as the ones he has been seeing lately!

Do you really think he might give up his dreams of juggling swords to become a Dr.? Cool!

Bluepaintred said...

hmm i wouldnt go so far as to buy him a play boy but maybe mention again that not every breast is diseased ! LOL

your family is too cute

Anonymous said...

Those pics combined 8 y/o boys favorite things. Boobies & gross stuff. What more could a kid ask for!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say something clever, but I am too busy laughing. The test thing, I've actually been so frustrated with study that I once gave my computer a fore-arm. it will be over soon, in the meantime get a nip, uh, I mean nap.

Andreia Huff said...

Yuck.

ephelba said...

But what IS wrong with that boob? I'm feeling like your kiddo- I have to know....
Also...
Art is a good place to turn to find pictures of real bodies bared, and it shows that all shapes and sizes are beautiful, not just Barbie shapes....
Just an idea.