I have hung a Do Not Disturb sign on my life. My ex-hubby has the kids until Tuesday night. I am alone.....gloriously alone. Well, except for my side kick. I don't believe that I have formally introduced you to my Fifth Child. This is my Irish Terrier, Bodie. No, he was not named after the shit-for-brains US skier. My kids decided that Bodie meant "Irish Surfing Dog".
So, Bodie and I have been hangin'. He is a wonderful companion. He never talks back. Or rolls his eyes. He is always happy with whatever I feed him. And he never, ever screams MOOOMMMMAAA at the top of his lungs. Perfect.
And what have I been doing with my free time? Well, I have messed around with my computer. I created a new home page with all of my favorites blogs front and center. No more multi-click pull down window. I cleaned the kitchen, including throwing out a years worth of crap that had piled up on the top of the fridge. Now there is room for a whole new load of crap!
I balanced my checkbook and paid my bills...always a source of joy. And I cleaned out my desk. I now have three, count em, three empty drawers to fill with new...crap. I also have a huge pile of papers that need to filed, but that can wait until tomorrow.
I have slept when I have felt sleepy. Eaten when I have felt hungry. Listened to my music without worrying that my 11 year old will change it to her fav hip-hop station.
But the best part. The very best, hands down, dance on the roof part...I have not spoken, except to the dog, in almost 24 hours. Heaven.
Maybe I should just give up the whole search for my next Soul Mate and consider joining a nunnery when the 4 year old leaves for college? A vow of silence and chastity? I should have the whole chastity thing mastered by then. Oh, and I could make artisanal cheeses.
Nahhh...the chastity thing will never work. But a monastery might.
Sunday, July 02, 2006
Sweet, Sweet Silence
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
I loved that time when my kids would go with the ex ..it was heavenly !
Until i got remarried and we had baby terror haha!
Ps: that rod guy looks entertaining lol
ok he didnt last long ..lol
Silence? What's that?
Enjoy it while you can.
How pathetic is it that I just read this whole post thinking to myself "Luck-y. I want to balance my checkbook and clean some drawers. . .if only I could clear the house of all my kids."
Gosh, I haven't had a full day of not talking in years. I miss it.
There is a peace that comes with having lots of alone time. I miss that too.
Ha I love that! If only it would work even for a few minutes.
Okay, so maybe I'm being stupid, but what's your homepage? Why can't I find the link from your blog?
angel baby, you're not stupid! I meant that I took my blank, except for the Goggle search box, firefox home page on my computer and customized it. A huge hurtle for me. So, there is no link.
Sorry for the confusion!
When I was dating my husband, and it was not his weekend to have his son, I used to think that was the perfect way to parent, because each parent can have fun on their off weekend and feel good knowing their child was with their other loving parent.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy the you time.
Lisa
HA! Paul and I were separated for a few months during 1999, when he was in his "ass" phase. (He got better, lucky for him.) I remember those alone nights. Some of them were horrible and self-pitying (especially at first). But I soon figured out how to spend my time, and it was lovely.
Enjoy :-)
Dogs have to be the best leveller worldwide! There's a reason why their our best friends, because they always listen whilst wagging their tails, and they don't talk back, and their easy to please with a rub behind the ears!
OH man. I want a weekend alone. I really, really do. Have fun! Please. And then tell us all about it. :)
Artisanal cheeses! bwahahaha!
A day of balancing the checkbook, organzing the computer and cleaning the junk drawers sounds like Heaven to me! Us "type B" folks are all alike :-)
Silence, is there such a thing? I thought it was just a myth! I've often thought about the nunnery if anything were to happen to my DH. I don't know much about cheeses, but I could slap some knuckles with a ruler, or is that too old school?
Post a Comment