Following your bliss. What does that mean, really? It is such a woo-woo sounding term. Bliss? Yet, it has been on my mind lately. A parenting book I read recently said that sometime between the ages of 11 and 14 children will find their bliss. Their passion. The interests or activities that bring them joy, challenge and engage them, fill them up. It is the wise and observant parent who notices these often subtle messages and then helps the child define and recognize them.
One of my girls loves to read, draw and write poetry. The other loves shoes, clothes and babies. The 8 year old is too young. He assures me that he is going to juggle knives when he grows up! Over his Momma's dead body. And NO Son, you may not use my kitchen knives to practice.
We talk about their passions. How do we help our children achieve the dream that we all have: to find work that we are passionate about and yet still pays us a living wage? We also talk about them not living with me forever. At 18 years old they either have to go to college or get a job and find an apartment. That's why they call me "Mean Momma"!
20 years ago I did not want to have any children. I liked my job. I didn't want to share my husband. As the oldest of 5 children, I felt as if I had already "been there, done that."
14 years ago, before the birth of my first child, I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a stay at home mom. What would I do all day? And then I held her in my arms and knew that I was not going back. We were very lucky that I had the choice. Many women do not.
For 14 years I have been living my bliss. In some fundamental way, raising these children was what I was meant to do. It fills me up. It brings me boundless joy. Yet, I have been increasing restless this last year. They are older. The labor intensive baby days are over. The teenage years beckon. Those years require a different focus, more of the mind and soul, less of the body.
I believe in modeling appropriate life skills and behavior for my kids. If I don't want them to swear, I must not swear. If I expect kindness, I must be kind. I will always say "please" the first time I ask a child for something. But not the second...or 6th.
If I am to speak to my children about finding and then following their bliss, then it stands to reason that I must model that as well. Searching my heart. Realizing that the time is approaching for me to reenter the workplace. Even though the very thought of doing so scares me to death. This "job" of being a SAHM is comfortable. "Out there" is not comfortable. "Out there" is scary.
I must model setting a goal, making a plan and following through. They must see me struggle and, yes, possibly fail. They must see that even though I am afraid, I will not give up. That I am willing to work hard and long for....for my bliss.
I owe it to them as much as to myself.
Sunday, July 09, 2006
Following Your Bliss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
It's funny how that "time" comes for moms. My wife was/is a SAHM for 14 years but just last year felt the same calling as you. She has since started her own business and is doing very well and is lovin it. Go for it - you're gonna be great!
Lovely. Something tells me that your children's days are likely filled (whether you see it or not - or even if THEY see it or not) with seeing what a beautiful example you are to them.
I recently went back and finished my bachelor's degree in anticipation of someday telling my as-yet-unborn-children that they MUST go to college! :-)
Pickalish - roots and wings. That's beautiful!!!!
If you are happy and fulfilled, your children will pick up on that. Follow your heart. All the best.
Lisa
I must have missed that part of my life...I have yet to find my bliss. Boo.
Great ideas here mamma! Many of us are traveling the same path with you. If you gain any more insight into the process, please let us know!
That is so beautiful. It is hard to help kids fulfill dreams. By you being a great mom that allows for their happiness which allows them to attain what they want out of life. You are doing your job to give them their bliss I think.
Great post!
My kids are still little (3 & 5), but being a stay-at-home mom is definitely not MY bliss, so I already feel the same kind of restlessness as you.
I know that it's important to be available to my children and I also know it's important (both for me AND for them) that I be a good example of following your dreams and achieving happiness/fulfillment while at the same time being responsible and accountable to the people who depend on you.
It's a tall order!
I read this yesterday not long after you posted it, and it gave me chills. It's all so true. I can't say that motherhood has been bliss for me - I've always felt something missing. I have, however, felt many times that I was doing something cool and amazing and important. I just knew that there are things inside myself that aren't being satisfied.
If I go by the 11-14 thing - my bliss becomes obvious. It's writing. I became prolific during those years - it was the only thing I did that gave me deep satisfaction and made me feel connected. Adulthood brought the self-doubt and need to do something "practical" - and then I ended up pregnant and that felt close enough, lol.
I pursued the English degree and got it, and now publication, and whether I get there or not I hope I show my kids that they should go for those dreams - that bliss - wholeheartedly. As scary as it may be when you aren't being practical.
Good job, Ashley.
The courage to follow your bliss after 14 years is tough. I'm finally following mine after just 10 and I'm terrified. Each day I think maybe I'm not good enough or maybe I don't have it anymore, but I know if I don't try, I'll be a miserable woman-- what child wants a miserable momma?
Then again is it selfish to ask them to give a little when they are so young (a couple hours a week)-- 2,4 and 7? I don't know. I'm taking it one day at a time.
But I think you should build a huge wooden table/wheel in your backyard complete with leg and arm straps so incase your son decides to trade juggling for knife throwing, he'll have a target:)
You are such a thoughtful mom... I really appreciate your awesomeness. Every time I read I learn something about how to be a better parent.
Thanks!
Post a Comment