Sunday, July 23, 2006

Top 10 Reasons Why I Love Camping

10. It's good for my back. Sleeping on a plywood board, even with the negligible aide of an egg crate mattress is good for my posture. Sure, it can take a few hours each morning to work the kinks out but it's all good. No pain, no gain...right?

9. Camping fosters a true appreciation of Mother's Natures Power. Such as the power of the recent thunderstorm that ripped the screen house completely off of my camper and tossed it like Barbie's hankie 15 feet away.

8. Soaking up the sound of the rain. After a hot, sticky day nothing cools the air like a gentle evening rain. In our camper, as the rain hits the canvas it sounds as if the Hand of God were hurling gravel onto the canvas and aluminum roof. Some of my very best conversations with the kids have been at 2 am after the thunder of the rain has woken everyone up. Of course, we have to yell to hear each other but yelling is good for the vocal cords....right?

7. True appreciation of what you don't have. Like the missing screen house that allowed us to keep a few of the campers windows unzipped to let in some fresh air. Without the screen house being in the camper when it rains is akin to being hermetically sealed in a zip lock bag....with 4 kids and a dog.

6. The chance to improve my rusty duct tapping skills. Every mosquito in a five mile radius knows when we are in the camper and comes to feast. The low decibel hum of the gazillion mosquitoes affixed to the outside of the camper is such sweet music to my ears. My "bug proof" camper has a few security breaches. Only the careful and liberal use of duct tape strategically placed over all known points of entry ensures a buzz free sleeping environment.

5. The opportunity to teach my children hunting techniques. When the dozen or more intrepid flying blood suckers do find their way in there is a fool proof technique for hunting down and eliminating the enemy. The child must locate the critter in the beam of their flashlight as it rests on the canvas and then ever so quickly smash them. The more noise and yelling while hunting the better.

4. Teaching proper cleaning methods. There is a best way and a better way to clean blood off of canvas. The gazillion blood spots that remain on the canvas in the morning from the previous evenings kill fest. Spit is good. A diaper wipe is better.

3. Teaching that modesty is for the birds. When one of us has to pee in the middle of the night we all promise not to look as the peer hunkers down atop the tiny, weeny port-a-potty. Just try to pee quietly. And no TP in the potty. Please flush. And if you have to poop then you must wake up your buddy to accompany you on the long trek to Pop-Pop's house to use the real potty. I know it's dark and scary and we heard a coyote out there last year but that's why I bought you the flashlight that you like to shine in my eyes. No Poop in the Port-a-potty!! No.

2. I love birdsong. Especially at 3:25 am. After the Tylenol PM and the wine have worn off and there is not a chance in hell of getting back to sleep on my bed of nails. I often lay there devising ways to kill birds. Especially the one in the tree two feet from my head that has been "trweep trweeping" so loudly. I do NOT think that a 20 gage shotgun with a full load of buck shot would be overkill. Sounds about right.

1. I love the togetherness. When all goes well, which it occasionally does, and we work as a team it feels wonderful to stretch out to sleep with my children and dog close at hand. We whisper about the adventures of the day and our plans for tomorrow. We gaze at the glorious pink and orange sunsets through the screens and know that all is right with our world. Camping with 4 children and a dog can be hard, frustrating and uncomfortable but it is also fun, peaceful and affirming. I wouldn't have it any other way.






Home Sweet Home

17 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

I love camping! we are tenting it for five days with just our two oldest boys. the baby is staying home to go to potty school, AKA his nana's house.

mosquiotos are annnnnnnoying, but i love the part where they fall asleep in my arms sitting ata campfire :o) your post made me smile and it made me wish august 3 was here NOW!

Im glad youare having fun!

Anonymous said...

LOL...sounds like quite the adventure! Did you happen to go camping in a backyard? ;)

Anonymous said...

Our camper is in a hay feild, one of many, next to my Dad's barn.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S the way to camp, in my opinion. Outside, yet not too far away from the necessities. :)

meno said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my place. It's great to meet another amazon woman.

I camped alot as a child, and i truly loved it. I still love to be outdoors and hike all day and get sweaty and eat burned beanie-weenies from the fire pit. But i am too old to sleep on the ground by choice. Bed and Breakfasts and feather beds for me. I am so spoiled

Anonymous said...

I camped a lot when I lived in Oregon but I can't get into Florida camping. The bugs and the critters grow too big and dangerous here.

Musings of a Housewife said...

I think I'm glad I'm sitting in a house with air conditioning and plumbing. ;-) Glad you're having fun though!

but Momma said...

Air mattress is the way to go. I take sheets and it feels like the real thing. Probably better. I was just asking my Mom today, how can a firm mattress be good for your back, if you wake up stiff and hurting?

So glad you're back!

Oh and I got an easy one ... cuazg :)
I blew it ... stnpmps

Kelly Wolfe said...

Boy I admire you. I hate camping. And you did it with four kids. You are my hero.

I can see how being away from all the modern day distractions would be great for family bonding. Awesome.

Lisa

Christine said...

The last camping trip we took was a week long trek to Virginia two summers ago (then I got preg. which has kept us from going for awhile...Phew!). I had forgotten all about the freaking birds! Esp. the one that's always right next to the tent. I'm not one to be mean to animals, but I have imagined doing pretty mean things to those loud mouths!

Angel Baby said...

That sounds so awesome!!

Listening to the rain, the birds, all of it... just glorious.

I'm jealous. Even of the bad parts.

Angel Baby said...

PS Thanks for your great comment!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I admire you!

My idea of camping is sleeping on my couch!

I went camping once, for real, I was 3 months pregnant with my first daughter, had terrible morning sickness, got so sunburned that I got blisters and I swore I would never go again. LOL And I never have! My husband takes them by himself now, and he camps in the back yard!

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Ahh, there's nothing better than sweet tasty sarcasm. Camping just brings out the best in a writer, doesn't it?

btw, I found it funny that "peer" (as in "he was the third peer to pee in the Port-a-potty") is spelled the same way as "peer" (as in "there was a lot of peer pressure to not poop in the Port-a-potty").

Ok, maybe not funny ha-ha. I'll go away now.

Kara said...

lol at number 7. I havnt camped since i was a kid, mosquitos find me a rare and delectable treat...

Pollyanna said...

You ALMOST make me want to go camping. I said ALMOST. :)

Bonnie B said...

Well, I can certainly relate-- what a nice funny, yet sweet list! It is nice to know other people still camp