I don't like to complain, but enough already. Yesterday was another rainy day here in Portland. Our rainfall totals for June stand at close to nine inches. That is about 6 inches above normal. And that is not including todays drip interspersed with downpours topped off by fog. I think I have mold growing behind my ears. My new, not cheap, I am finally going to be comfortable on the beach, beach chair has only been used once.
Not only is there mold growing behind my ears but I think my brain is molding as well. If I hear one more child scream "MOOOOOMMMMMMM" at the top of their lungs I am going to jump ship. I can't seem to find the will to do anything. Except for take a nap. That was ended when the 8 year felt the need to tip toe into my room to get a book. As if there were not enough books all over the house, he needed one from my room.
As I write this, the younger ones are trying to break down their older sisters door.
MUCH, MUCH, MUCH LATER....
Here's how it unfolded:
11 year old comes down to tell me that the 8 and 4 year old have knocked all of the paint off of their door. I think that the paint came off when one of them slammed the door so hard that the house shook. After I bellowed for the 8 and 4 year old to come talk to their Momma and receive their just reward, I asked the 11 year old to put the kettle on for me. And I specifically asked her to check to see if there was enough water in the kettle. The 8 year old was in time out and the kettle was whistling. In a huff, I poured my cup of tea. Only there was less then a third of a cup of water in the kettle. And the lid fell off. And the ring and pinkie finger on my right hand were blasted by a cloud of very hot steam. And I screamed.
And the kids all came running. Door slamming incident mercifully forgotten. As I stood in the kitchen and cried. And I don't cry. O.K. I do cry cry. But only during sappy chick flicks and Hallmark commercials. Or when I burn the shit out of my hand.
Then the kids started crying too. Because nothing freaks a kid out more then seeing the Momma, that tower of strength, cry.
I slapped a cold pack on it and that did the trick. Then I ripped a chunk out of my 11 year olds ass for not checking the water in the kettle. Bad move. Now we were all crying again.
I then decided that the ice WAS NOT WORKING. We are talking my mouse hand, people! I couldn't take the hand away from the ice long enough to click and read! And forget about typing a comment. Pain should not be involved when you are typing a comment.
With the 13 year old in tow I drove one handed to the local drug store to ask for...drugs. They have those super private, Ask Me Any Dumb Ass, STD Question you can think of booths for a reason. For me!
"Ah, I know that you are not a Doctor, but could you tell me what I can put on this burn, RIGHT NOW, that will help me?"
The next thing I knew my 13 year old daughter was spraying my fingers in the car in the parking lot of the drug store. We had to open the windows so that we would not OD on benzocaine spray. In about 15 seconds my fingers thawed out and the pain came screaming back. My daughter was reading to me about the "quick and thorough" pain relief. Only I was not getting it. There is something wrong when you are doing your labor breathing and you are NOT in labor!
I am now relatively pain free. The 2 Morin and 3 glasses of wine have finally helped the "pain relieving" spray kick in.
Thank God. Because typing with my tongue was tough...
Still Late: After the ex-hubby rode to the Fair Maidens rescue all hell broke lose. Someone, The Little Old Man Who Lives On the Third Floor and Is Responsible For All Unexplainable Mysteries in our house, left the older girls paint chipped door open. And the dog, my fifth child, got into their room and had the effrontery to eat their candy. The candy they had earned with the sweat of their tender brows. Helping their Momma clip the gazillion bushes in the front yard. Oh, the fun never ends.
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Why I am Typing with my Tongue...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I am so sorry about your burn. There is nothing more painful (except stingray stings, which are at the apex of the hurts like shit food chain). Can I act like a mom and tell you to get thee to a doctor if it doesn't heal up quickly?
I'm sorry too about your miserable weather. Your burn would most definitely heal faster if you could sit in your beach chair. Good luck!
OH my dear! Do you have an aloe vera plant? It doesn't do much for the pain, but the last time I burned myself (my right pinky finger and side of my hand) I just sat on the couch all night rubbing split open aloe vera leaves all over it. It kept it moist (in a good way) and relieved pain somewhat. Best of all, the burn seemed almost gone the next day, which is uncommon for me. But I agree with Wendy, if you don't see some healing soon, FIND A DOC!
The "other" Portland is totally the opposite of yours! We've had a heat wave, and recorded our hottest EVER June day. (102) And I think we're wayyyy behind on rain. But it is the Pac NW and we surely will catch up sometime. :-)
Hope you feel better tomorrow!
Breathe in...breathe out. I know the throbing pain of a steam burn! I would just submerge my hand in a glass of ice water.
Also sounds like the fun never ends. I'm about to hit the sack so good night!
It sounds like you could really use some sunshine. I'm trying my best to send some your way:). Hope the burn heals quickly.
Morning Update:
Other then a very large, ugly blister on my ring finger, all is well. I promise to keep it covered and if it starts oozing pus or other nasty stuff, to have it seen. Thanks for all of the love.
Oh, more rain for today. We are off to the library.
OUCH! It sounds like Dr. Daughter took care of you pretty well, though.
I laugh when I get seriously injured. Like, you know to take me to the ER if I hurt myself and then crack up. One time, I poured boiling water over my hand by mistake and my now-ex walked in to find me roaring with laughter as my hand swelled and turned bright purple.
Heh. That "Little Old Man Who Lives On the Third Floor and Is Responsible For All Unexplainable Mysteries" must be a multi-dweller. He lives at our house too.
Ouch!!!! Sorry about your burn. Thanks for stopping bu my blog:)
Burns are the worst! Hope you're much better today! When it rains, it pours...
I'm gonna burn my tongue with this tortilla soup!
ohhhh steam burns are the WORST
watch for infection please!
i hope the rain ends soon so you can kick the kids outside ( you might want to grab the rubber boots and raincoats and some shampoo and send them out anyway!
hope the candy the dog ate was not chocolate
get better
Feel better you are strong and tall. These tough times come and go.
YEah, burns are painful. So painful. I hope you are feeling better! And so glad you discovered the healing powers of motrin and wine. :) :) :)
And I would give anything for your Portland rain. We are burning up here in Cali...
P.S. That mean trouble making 3rd floor man lives HERE as well. that guy gets AROUND and causes lots and lots of problems. Shame on him!
You are freeking hilarious... I wish you were my neighbor! (I'd help you with doctoring your finger too.)
Post a Comment