Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ode To The June Strawberry

On the way back from a perfect summer day at our camp, we stopped at a favorite farm stand for fresh berries. My 8 year old felt it was necessary to also purchase about 10 pounds of peas.

Inspired by the summer's bounty, my 13 year old daughter dashed off this poem in the car on the way home. After she had eaten a whole quart of strawberries.

Ode To The June Strawberry

Which is dimpled and shiny
And just slightly fuzzy
And such a red!
Not ruby but garnet
With just the right
Amount of give
As your teeth press down
And pink juice stains your fingers.

And oh! the taste
The taste, the taste
Of sunshine and green
Such a wonderful taste,
A June strawberry
Is what you get
When you pour summer in a frying pan
And melt it down
And simmer it small
And soak it in the sun.

By Samantha age 13

The 8 and 11 year olds at the farm stand.
Only about 8 pounds of peas and 3 quarts of berries actaully made it home!

9 comments:

Pollyanna said...

I love that pic! SO cute. The string bean hanging of out of the Boy's mouth cracks me up. :) You have adorable children!

Cheryl said...

I remember eating a lot of raspberries while in the moutains of New Mexico. My crazy aunt would drive the jeep straight up the mountain and we would jump out every time we saw a wild raspberry bush or a wild strawberry bush. It took me 10 years to eat a raspberry after I had just a little too much fruit! The strawberries look good in this pic.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Hats off to your 13 year old. Her Ode made my mouth water just reading it!

I could only write dumb limericks when I was her age.

Anonymous said...

"When you pour summer in a fyring pan"...that was awesome. Great imagery.

Secret Mommy said...

As a writer and sometimes poet myself, I have come to the realization that we are all born to be poets.

Then we start to "grow up" (whatever that means) and society takes away some of the innocense, wide-eyed wonder, and naivete that makes us such great poets.

And some adults struggle and break through it and become great poets again, (Sharon Olds, James Lasdun, Richard Hugo) but they still are not as good as those under the age of 15, who can still tell us about the world the way they see it. No filter, no hesitance, no crap.

I love the Strawberry poem.

Bluepaintred said...

wow, if it EVER stops raining here i am going to take my kids to the U pick Berry farm here! i love the ride home, and what better for them to eat then fresh produce!

your daughter is quite talented! tell her to keep it up!

Anonymous said...

VERY nice, Samantha! What an apt description (and now I must have some strawberries...)

Bonnie B said...

When you pour summer in a frying pan
And melt it down
And simmer it small
And soak it in the sun

That is a line to live on. I love it. Such talent.

but Momma said...

Talent AND Good looks! You've got great kids! I'd trade, but mine won't eat a fruit or a vegetable.