Monday, June 12, 2006

A Good Ride

Well, I did it! I went on the bike ride yesterday with LMS (Last Man Standing). I was hoping, deep in my heart, that I would wake up to yet another day of rain. Then I would have a legitimate out. But nooooo. Sunday was the first dry day after a long bout of very wet ones. He called to confirm our outing and I plucked up my courage and said "yes". You'd think I had agreed to have hot coals driven under my nails or a root canal.

With fear in my heart, I scraped a winter's worth of fur from my legs, shimmied into my skin tight black riding shorts, strapped my helmet firmly onto my head and hit the open rode. I made it to our rendezvous spot with no mishaps. After about five minutes, he can riding around the corner. It is just not fair that he should look so much better in his bike shorts then I do in mine!

We did the obligatory awkward half hug thing and then agreed to a route. What occurred next was the only truly embarrassing moment of the morning. I strapped my helmet back on only to find LMS looking at me with a bemused expression. He then smiled and informed me that I had put my new shiny, blue helmet on backward. Yup, the pointy end was pointed forward over my face like the bow of a ship. I quickly wiped the thing off and put it back on the right way. I then turned a rather fetching shade of pink.

We rode for an hour. Most of the time we rode side by side so that we could talk. Portland has a wonderful bike trail system. We rode around Back Cove and then followed the path into the city next to the harbor. All and all it was a good ride. I didn't suck too badly and I actually had, dare I say it, fun. The best part was that none of my nightmare scenarios happened.

  • I didn't fall off of my bike
  • I didn't ride into a tree, fellow biker or pedestrian.
  • I didn't have to ask him to slow down or stop so that I could "catch my breath"
  • I didn't crash my bike into LMS's bike
  • I only rode through 1 mud puddle, messy but survivable

The only downside is that my nether regions are a wee bit sore today. I wince whenever I sit down. Not too shabby considering the love/hate relationship I have with bicycles. At the end of the ride, alas, no first kiss. But I did get an invite to go for another ride soon.

And this time I plan to buckle the damned helmet on the right way.

5 comments:

Secret Mommy said...

Bravo!!!! I'd say that compared to the wonderful list of things you didn't do (I prolly would have done them all) strapping your bike helmet on backwards is a cinch. (No pun intended.)

I'm sure you'll keep us posted when you see LMS again?

but Momma said...

That was too good! I'm totally impressed that you can just whip out that bike and ride for an hour!

For the next date, tell him you fractured your cocyx, and ask to go get ice cream instead!

Bluepaintred said...

way to go!

Bonnie B said...

That sounds like a lovely afternoon-- though it did remind me. I really should shave my legs.
Why can't I come from a non-shaving culture? Or a culture in which the kids don't stare at you while you bathe. I'd have much better legs if it weren't for the three sets of eyes.

Well, Ashley-- here's hoping for a marvelous second bike ride to come.

Meg said...

Good for you! On both the shaving and helmet issues...