Before I settled into my Momma Bear chair last night to read the current issue of The New Yorker and watch a bit of mind numbing television I read the comments from yesterdays post. Oh My! You all think I know what the hell I'm doing! Some of you actually wanted my advice. How sweet! Much like in a Dr. Seuss book, my head proceeded to swell and swell and swell. What an ego trip.
15 minutes later my 8 year old son slapped me (figuratively) back to reality. That is one of the reasons he was sent to me. He helps keep me humble....very, very humble. I won't get into the ugly details of the next hour. Suffice it to say that there was much sobbing on his part, anger on mine. After doing everything that I could think of to calm him down and get him to sleep I gave up. I vaguely remember saying something like "That's it! I'm done with you. Do not, do you HEAR me? Do not come out of your room again. And no, I am not going to let you do what you want to do. (An activity that was incompatible with bedtime.) GO TO SLEEP....NOW!" I was not feeling any love in my heart for him. I was thinking of doing things to him that would have qualified me for a visit from Child Protective Services.
After I stomped back downstairs, my 11 year old daughter, bless her heart, took pity on her brother. She calmed him down and helped him to get to sleep. She was probably agreeing with him about what a MEAN MOMMA I was!
So, ego firmly back in place, I want to offer you all some real advice. READ! I have read dozens upon dozens of parenting books on every conceivable topic over the last 14 years. Most of them are not worth the paper that they are printed on. (Topping the list are any of the "What to Expect" Books.) Here is a list of what I consider to be the Best of the Best. My gift to you.
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
I love reading birth books. Ina May's is the best that has been written in many years. The first part of the book is filled with inspiring birth stories. The second half is information on how to have the birth that you want. The first chapter of that section is entitled "Your Body is not a Lemon." I love this book.
The Baby Book by Dr. William Sears and Martha Sears
The book covers everything you need to know from birth to age two. I love his sense of humor and down to earth approach. He is a pediatrician, he and his wife have 8 kids. The two chapters on starting solids are worth the price of the book alone. There is also a great chapter on "baby wearing" with diagrams on different sling positions. This is the book that I give to all of my pregnant family and friends. It was my bible.
The Sears have a whole series of books covering pregnancy, birth, discipline, breastfeeding, etc.
All of them are great.
Your One (Two, Three, Four...) Year Old by Louise Bates Ames
This series of books are oldies but goodies. Each slim volume is a portrait of the child at that age. This is Child Psychology 101. I adore these books! They help me understand how my child thinks and what they are capable of at any given age. I also love the chapter on age appropriate birthday parties in each book.
Love and Anger by Nancy Samalin
Actually, all of her books are wonderful.
Raising a Daughter: Parents and the Awakening of A Healthy Woman by Jeanne and Don Elium
This books helps the reader understand why our daughters are wired differently. I also liked one of their other books, Raising a Family.
Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys by Daniel Kindlon and Micheal Thompson
A great read for Mothers of boys, a MUST read for Fathers of boys.
Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell
I am not lying when I state that I have read every single sleep book available. Not one of them gave me the magic bullet that helped my children sleep through the night. This book was the best of the bunch. She not only explains how children sleep, which is very different from how we sleep, but also stresses how important it is for kids to get enough sleep. Because of her book bedtime happens at 7 pm at my house. And I love that.
Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber
If you have more then one child you should read this book sooner rather then later.
The Hidden Feelings of Motherhood: Coping with Stress, Depression and Burnout by Kathleen Kendall-Tackett
This is a new one. I wish I had read it before my bout with PPD.
Gently Lead: How to Teach Your Children about God While Finding out for Yourself by Polly Berrien Berends
This little book is one of my all time favorites. I don't care what religion you are, or aren't as the case may be, this book will speak to you. I used it this spring to teach a "Soulful Parenting" workshop at my church. I am on my second copy. The first one fell apart from repeated use.
Whole Parent/Whole Child by Polly Berrien Berends
This is my all time, absolutely, hands down most beloved parenting book. Not all of it is relevant. There is a chapter on diaper changing, for example. But the meat of this book rocks. This book helped me define my core parenting philosophy. Whenever I feel lost and need to ground myself, I pick it up.
Well, friends, there you have it. Remember that if you get one or two concrete parenting tools that you can actually use in your real life, then consider the book a success. None of the above authors have all of the answers. No one does. You know your children best.
When we follow our hearts and listen to our guts then our children are in good hands.
Happy reading!
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Good Reads
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
HATE the What to Expect books. HATE THEM. Good choice of books, Ashley. I like the Sears stuff, too.
I copied and pasted this terrific list into a word doc I saved on my computer as "Ashley's Better Family Reading List." :-)
Can I ask a question. Why are the What to Expect books so hated? I thot they were supposed to be good. (Mind you, I've never had children and have never read any of those books, but had been planning to buy them when needed...)
Thanks for the list. I find it sooooooooo overwhelming when at the book store or library to find parenting books. Especially when toting some, if not all, of the problem children while trying to browse and buy.
I read all the What to Expect books and especially when reading the first, had nothing to compare them to. So, in my closet they sit. Now, after having more kids and having read more books, I see how non applicable to "real" life they are and upon more than one occasion, found something I really really disagreed with. I like the Dr. Sears stuff too. I like taking advice from some1 who's been in the trenches. :)
Our pediatrician gives out a little paperback of one of his books on your first appointment.
But, I am definitely going to check out some of the others on your list!
Kigomanager: Do not waste your hard earned cash on the "What to Expect" books. The easiest way to explain it is that they speak the "party line". Breastfeeding is equal to formula, it's all a woman choice. Bullshit! An epidural is a good birthing choice. Bullshit! I guess what pisses me off about these books is that they never take the childs point of view. If the child had the choice to be fed a food that made them healthier and smarter over the course of a lifetime, which would they choose? If the child had the choice, would he/she choose to spend the first month trying to flush out the drugs of the epidural from their bodies? I don't think so!!!!
Women spend more time researching a new car then they do about the birth of their child. There is a huge controversy raging in our country about how we birth our babies. Most women are not even aware that it is happening. The c-section rate is over 25% in most sections of the country. That is horrific! A quarter of first time moms are having their babies cut from their bodies. In the 70's the section rate was less then 12%!
And don't even get me going on nursing! Women, because of lack of support and good info, weaning their babies at 2 weeks because they are CONVINCED that they can not make enough milk! We trust our bodies enough to grow our babies, but not enough to feed our babies!
Dinners ready...gotta to run!
O.k., you hit one of my hot buttons.
Thanks for the advice! These look like good reads!
It never gets easier to raise children. The older they get...there are just new things to challenge you. Our last child was born naturally even though I was considered a very high risk because I was 46 when I had our 7 year old son. Even though I am an older mom, I never think I have all the answers. I enjoy hearing the wisdom of women of all ages. Their successes speak to me and their failures...well, I've had a few. In the long run, my kids are great. We've had some stuff happen which was not pleasant, but I love them all the same, knowing I was not the perfect kid myself.
I think one of the most important ingredients to good parenting is to just love your child. Even when they mess up, I always want to have an open door with them. The other thing is to shoot straight with them. If they are courting disaster, they need to know you will take measures to alter the behaviour if need be because you love them. Thanks for your honesty.
Hated the what to expect books too! And boy, you must read the same books my Mom read. She used to make us go to bed at 7:30, EVEN in the summer. I like my kids to be in bed by 8:00, but my husband thinks it's mean. He doesn't think kids should have to go to bed so early. We get into HUGE fights about it actually. Isn't that a dumb thing to fight about??
Post a Comment