When I started my parenting journey, almost 14 years ago, I read many books about attachment parenting. I became a Dr. Sears fan and ate up every issue of Mothering Magazine. I have been a La Leche League Leader for the past 11 years and can do "attachment speak" in my sleep. For many, many situations the philosophy works for me. But not all children are the same or respond to the same techniques in the way that we hope.
When my son was 4 he entered a very violent phase. He hit his older sisters' whenever they didn't give him his way, which was much of the time. He would hit me with whatever was at hand; broom, spoon, stick or his body. The techniques that I had used with the girls at that age were NOT working. Comforting the victim and then talking about the violence with the perpetrator had no effect on his behavior.
Off to the therapist went I, looking for answers. How do I parent this child? HELP ME!!! I was frightened of my 4 year old. I was desperate.
The therapist advised that I add the "time out" to my parenting arsenal. No way! Time outs are a "no-no" in the attachment parenting world. But I was at my wit's end. He explained that by not letting his sisters hit him back I was sending unhealthy messages. My son was under the false impression that he could hit someone bigger without a serious consequence...like being decked. My girls were learning that they could not defend themselves against an aggressor. Certainly not messages I wanted to give my children.
The time out works like this. It has rules similar to ice hockey. The aggressor gets his/her age in time in the penalty box. If the victim chooses to retaliate with violence, he/she gets half of their age in the box. That means there is a consequence for hitting back. And clear rules as to how they can hit each other. A fist to the upper arm: O.K. A knee to the nuts: Not O.K.
Miracle of miracles, it worked! It was bloody hard work in the beginning. My son refused to sit on the "spot". I had to constantly put him back in place. If he moved off the "spot" we started the time again. No playing in the "spot". He is a smart boy and finally figured it out. Within 3 weeks the level of violence against his sisters practically disappeared.
Of course, I could not hit him when he hit me. Not cool! Although I did think about it on occasion. No, my new tool was to summon the "Wrath of God" when he hit me. I had to show him my anger. Not by screaming, but with calm, intense wrath. "You must never, ever hit your Momma!" He needed to be shown that there was nothing worse that he could do. It was very, very hard. I had been hit for so long and so often that I was beaten down. Summoning anger every time, as many as 10-12 times per day, was exhausting. But it worked.
There is one final piece of the time out technique that I think is key to the approach. After the time out is over you ask the perp 3 questions:
Why are you in time out?
Why was what you did NOT a good idea?
How could you have done it differently?
The questions help the child accept responsibility for their actions and allow me to talk about alternatives to violence. Using words to express anger. Drawing a picture. Coming and getting me to help. On many occasion the answer to the last question would be "hit her harder next time!"
Yesterday my 4 year old lost her temper and whacked her brother with her new tooth brush. After the screaming died down and I convinced the 8 year old that his arm was not in fact broken, I sent the perp to time out. She went willingly but it was a verryy long 4 minutes. "Am I done yet, Momma? Now, Momma? How much longer, Momma?"
When she was done I asked her the 3 questions:
Why were you in time out?
I hit my brother.
Why was that not a good idea?
Cause we have to respect God and that wasn't a good choice.
What could you have done differently?
Ummmmmmm? (pause) Not hit him?
Keeping a straight face was almost impossible. Her sisters, who were listening, cracked up. The four year old thought it was a fine joke. Even my boy smiled and willingly accepted her apology.
This begs the question: if the parenting tool is viewed as "good fun" by the child, has it lost its value?
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Beaten by a Toothbrush
Perpetrator and Victim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
You are quickly becoming my hero! When I have children (soon, very soon I hope!) can I email you every day to ask for advice?
I think that children laughing immediately following an "incident" just might be a lovely sign. My sis and I are 2 1/2 years apart and I somewhat remember when we were going through a "violent" phase. It was just after our parents had divorced and we were living with our Grammy. I was probly about 5 or 6 and my sis about 3 or 4. I remember when one of us would hit, Grammy would get over to us, chat it out, and we'd all be laughing and hugging and making cookies soon thereafter. (Okay, not ALWAYS, but I remember it!)
You have an exceptionally lovely family.
Any advice on dealing with an almost-18-month-old pincher? I have bruises on both my upper arms constantly from her teeny-tiny fingers.
Meg, Ouch! When she pinches that very first time try removing her from your body and onto the floor. No, don't throw her! In a very low, serious tone tell her "No pinch". Never smile as she will think it is all a game. She is trying to get your attention, and man, does it ever work. Hang in there! The pinching will soon be a memory and you will be onto something else equally fun! Such are the thrills of Motherhood.
Walk Tall and Carry a Big Toothbrush! :)
They are SO cute! You did good with the camera. Which one did you decide on?
Now I have to go look up attachment parenting. I thought I'd read them all...
You're doing a fine, fine job. I'm a Dr. Sears and LaLeche advocate too (as well as Bradley chidlbirth...but you know all about that - and NO, there will not be a fourth unless some miracle of unvasectomizing occurs, lol). Yes, they are all different, and stuff that worked on #1 and 2 did NOT work on #3 (to my dismay). So far, my "easiest" non-temper-tantrum-throwing kid (the oldest) has been quite a trial as a teen (the testosterone is killing us all). He was the sweetest child ever until, er, about 13-14. Makes me quite fearful of my little guy (11) getting older - he already has some temper issues. Sometimes you just have to hold onto your hat with both hands, ya know? Be strong and hang in there.
I think the laughter is a great tension breaker as long as they know why they were being punished-- and really don't most children (not toddlers, but children) know why they are being punished. A little snippit of good natured laughter is like saying "you're forgiven. Come back to the fold."
Thanks so much for the VERY helpful tip at my blog today Ashley. I tried to email you but alas, there's none to be found.
Unfortunately, my girl's been off the teat for a few months now. (Don't hurt me!) But the mattress suggestion is stellar and I'm all over it.
Cheers...
Ok, this is exactly what I needed to read just now! My 20 month old is a pincher/hitter/not very often biter. I watch him very closely to figure out what he is thinking when he does it, and most of the time it seems his emotions coming out and he can't find any other way to express himself. Only on occassion is it anger. I was reading this with my head resting against my hand and just when reading about the hitting, I felt a bruise on my brow bone from a head butt yesterday that I totally had forgotten about. Whew! That kid. I really like all your advice and now that I have gotten over the fear of tweens, I am going to keep reading your blog. :) We have been doing time outs too and then the talking afterward. I am going to stay steadfast in this vein as I am soooooo opposed to hitting the darn kid back. I just don't see what that accomplishes. Altho, I know several people that wud disagree with me. Ugh! So, I thank you for any and all future advice us newer moms can gather from someone such as yourself! :)
I'm not sure how I got here... blog-hopping does that to me...
My Son Logan is the hitter in the family (he's 5) and always beating up his brother Jaden (going on 7 the 25th of this month). We've tried just about everything - EVEN letting Jaden hit him back -- against my better judgment. I think I need to implement this plan.
Thanks for the pointers.
Congrats on finding a solution to your very frustrating problem. I admire the fact that you took it seriously and sought professional help, rather than just accept that you had a child who was going to be a "hitter" and leave it at that.
Sounds like you have great kids. Keep up the good work!
Your children are ADORABLE. And since I always attribute the best parts of kids to their mom, you must be ADORABLE too. (I'm laughing - dads play their part too. Don't get on my case Harmonica Man.) I would guess that time out is still a very viable option for your little girl, just hold firm ignoring the laughs at the end of it. It won't seem so fun to her. Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way. I'm glad to know about yours!
I love your techniques! Sounds very much like SuperNanny, but with a reality check.
Post a Comment