Monday, June 19, 2006

Pride

Saturday was a lovely day here in Portland. After weeks and weeks of rain, the sun and warmth felt wonderful. The morning was devoted to scrubbing the mold and dirt from the screen entry way of our pop-up camper. I set up each child with a scrub brush. There was a big bucket filled with Simple Green and water. And there was the hose. Then I got the hell out of the way. They worked hard and played hard. It all came to a screeching halt when the 4 year old had a major melt down. Her sibs would not let her hold the hose any longer. Whenever she had the hose in her possession, she would blast them with it.



After lunch and "rest" we went to a local park. This was their reward for all of their hard work of the morning. The park has a totally cool wading pool. Wading pools usually conjure up an image of a small, round, shallow body of water. This wading pool is in a different league entirely. It is long, wide and serpentine shaped. At the far end is a warm toddler pool. At the other is the outlet channel, the deepest part of the pool, which is just up to my 4 year olds knees. Why do my teenage girls love going there? Because of the water jets embedded in the pool. And because the water is very, very cold and feels wonderful on a hot, stinky day.



Parking was a bitch. We finally found a spot on the other side of the park from the pool and preceded to hoof it. It soon became clear that there was a big festival being held in the park. With live music. Now, I love live music. I was perfectly prepared to plunk my chair down on the lawn, under an oak tree and listen to the free concert. But, NOOOOOO! It's never about what Momma wants. I pouted all of the way to the wading pool.

What also became quickly evident was that the festival was Portland's Annual Gay Pride celebration. Portland is a wonderfully diverse city. As we walked across the park it became clear that much of that diversity was in the park that afternoon. The kids eyes were popping out of their heads. I thought it was fun. Blue hair, pierced whatever and lots of thigh high lace-up leather boots. (And no, children, you may not pierce, tatoo or dye your hair until you are 18 years old!) Men walking arm in arm. Women walking arm in arm. My church marches in the parade each year. We would have been there that morning if I had remembered to write it down on my calender.

On the way home in the car I asked the kids what they thought the festival had been about.

Pride, Mom. Didn't you see all of the banners. (13 year old with eye roll)

Oh, and blue hair! (8 year old)

But what are they proud of?

Ummm, that we are all so different?

No, they are proud of their blue hair!(8 year old again)

I went on to explain the meaning of the festival. You have to grab those "teaching moments" when they become available. Plus, I had a captive audience.

Here is my childrens contribution to our city's diversity. This picture was taken in the parking lot of the park.

All of my children have on purple, blue and/or pink nail polish.
(Remember, not all of my children are female.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be proud too. What a great bunch of kids. That picture of their toes is priceless.

Bonnie B said...

Thoses toes!!! What fun. I love Portland. I don't get up there enough.
Anyway it sounded like a great day. My community has a diversity festival, but we aren't that diverse-- which is a shame, so it always ends up a little bizzare because we essentially bus our diversity in. I came from Texas and it was always fun to go and experience other cultures and learn about other relgions. You're making me homesick -- and making me want to visit Portland. It's been two years since i last visited.

Kelly Wolfe said...

Toes are the window to the soul, isn't that they say? They should now. What a great time you had. You should be very proud.

Lisa

Meg said...

That rocks!

Secret Mommy said...

Was it pride weekend everywhere or just a coincidence that MY Portland also had their pride events this weekend?

LOVE the toes. As my sis has had each of her kids I always marvel at their toes. There is just something about children's toes. maybe like lisa said, they're the window to the soul. And adorning them with color, no matter who you are, is just plain fun!

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Love that summer stuff!

I'll let you know the day St. Cloud has a Gay anything recognition, most likely in about 50 years.

but Momma said...

I love a boy who's not afraid of polish!