There are times when I doubt my ability to keep my kids safe. Yesterday I had one of those moments.
My 11 year old was invited to the birthday party of a friend. All of the girls in her class were invited and the party was held at a local beach. It had already been a busy day. Orthodontist appointment at 9 am and then to the Chiropractor for the 13 year olds broken coccyx at 11. Home for a quick lunch and we were at the beach by 2pm.
I settled myself on the sand with the other Mommas for a nice long chat. I was keeping my eye on the 4 and 8 year olds as they dug in the sand and played with their friends. I swear to God that I only took my eyes off of them for a moment, but when I looked for them, they were gone. Or more specifically, the 4 year old was gone. I don't worry as much about the 8 year old as he is a strong swimmer. The 4 year old would sink like a stone.
I stood up and scanned the beach. No sign of her red bathing suit. I started yelling her name. Nothing. I yelled a few more times. Stll nothing. The sound in my voice of Momma Panic perked up the ears of every mother on the beach. Soon we were all standing and scanning the beach and the water. My heart was pounding and I felt physically sick to my stomach. Just at that moment one of the other Moms spotted my missing children on the far side of the cove. Climbing on the rocks. Right above the water. Not smooth, soft rocks but hard, sharp Maine granite.
You haven't seen anything until you've seen a 6 foot tall enraged Momma take off at high speed across a crowded beach. I made my long legs count for something. By the time I reached them they were back on the beach and out of danger. I got down on their level and with a relatively calm voice proceeded to let them have it.
Son, why were you on the rocks with your sister?
It was fun, Mom. I took care of her.
But she can't swim. What if she had fallen in?
I would have jumped in and rescued her, Mom. (eye roll)
Son, she would have pulled you under with her thrashing and kicking. Do you understand that you put your sister in danger? What is one of the most important rules?
Ummm, Obey you?
Yes, that too, but also NEVER SCARE YOUR MOMMA!
The were both marched back across the beach and ordered not to leave my sight again. My son was feeling pretty awful. The four year old was oblivious. I was shaking in the aftermath of the huge adrenaline rush.
I had planned to spend many, many days at the beach this summer. Do you think they would object if I tie them to my beach chair?
Friday, June 16, 2006
Panic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Yikes, I hate those moments! Every parent has them and there's not much you can do to prevent them. Hopefully the kids learn from the experience (yeah, right).
Maybe you could start a whole new sport - The "100-yard Manic Mom Beach Dash."
Wow. My OWN heart started racing with you!
Glad all are happy and safe. I grew up in a beach town and remember freaking out Grammy from time to time by running off. Ooops. :-)
Your story made my heart pound. Glad you have long legs, glad you let them have it (in that Mommy way), and I'm glad all was well in the end.
And yes, tie them to the beach chairs.
oye i hate them times! ive been tempted to tie mine up too!
Man! What a scare!
We lost Ace at the movie theater a couple of weeks ago. There were only 5 other people in the joint and he was only lost for about 30 seconds, found him in the arcade. But the adrenaline rush is horrible!
And WATER... man!
Yep, I've written about these moments, too. It was cathartic - but then, I was years from the episode at the time. And it stills makes my heart pound. Darn kids. Wait til one of them drives away from the house for the first time. That's when you realize that IT NEVER STOPS. Dang it! My oldest is leaving for NYC in three weeks. He'll be there a month. He's nearly an actual adult, and I'm scared when I think of everything that could happen to him. I have to take deep breaths and try to be rational. Nothing doing - the mom in me wants to worry and fret. So I guess I'll spend most of July and part of August doing just that.
Wow, there's nothing like needing a nice long leash is there? We had a similar experience with our son falling into a river which opened out to the ocean. He got whipped along incredibly quickly. The fortunate thing was the current was flowing towards me, so I could jump in and grab him quick, and I think my adrenalin levels would have been the same as yours!
I hate it whent hey scare me like that. I was making dinner the other day and my two year old opened up our side door (we have three enterances to our house) and walked out.
And so, when I turned around and she wasn't there, i went itno Mama panic mode. I couldn't find her anywhere. Not in the house, not in the front yard, backyard or playhouse.
Do you know where she was? She'd stripped off her cloths and was playing naked in my neighbor's garden.
Kigogal-- I am having the hardest time posting on your blog for some reason. Anyway, i hope you get this message, Slugs are gross and I think your slug container is a great idea. i'm building one today. Thanks for the tip. I read your blog every day but it won't let me post comments. my email address is bsitter2@hotmail.com
You could email me if you wanted. I really enjoy reading your blog-- as I love One Tall Momma's too.
Post a Comment