Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's Too Damned LOUD

There are days that I wish my kids came with volume control. Just a tiny little knob at the base of their skulls or behind an ear that I could use to turn down either their volume, or in some extreme cases, just turn them "off" for awhile.

The ride home from school yesterday was pure hell. Maybe it's the beautiful weather or school drawing to a close or possibly the recent full moon, but they were SO loud. Giggling, shouting, screaming, snorting, singing, shrieking kind of loud. Don't get me wrong. It was joyful noise. Not the usual screaming in pain, crying, teasing, groaning, complaining kind of noise.

Joyful noise I normally don't mind. But yesterday, after missing my nap for the second day in a row, it grated on me. I mean really drove me nuts. At one point I threatened to stop the car and make the boy walk home if he kicked the back of his little sister's seat just one more time. Of course, we were 20 miles from home and I was going 70 on the highway. The boy is no fool. He called my bluff and started in again. At this point I yelled, "Don't you move a muscle until we get home! Don't do anything but breathe!" It didn't work. By the time I got out of the car I was in a kind of noise induced post-traumatic shock.

Instead of volume control buttons, what about muzzles? I think that this is a parenting idea that merits further study.

4 comments:

but Momma said...

Two words - Limo Glass.

It should come standard with any car where the owner has more than two kids.

Showing my smarts...What's a DHusband?

Anonymous said...

I think that DH stands for Dear Husband. At least I have been operating under that assumption.

Pollyanna said...

Oh, limo glass. that should come standard in ANY car no matter how many children. i have 2 but they are LOUD little cusses. And I soooo wish I had a volume control. Believe you me. I like the idea of muzzles though too. Limo glass, muzzles, or volume controls. It ALL works for me! :)

but Momma said...

I my gosh! I was reading comments at Chris's and saw what you wrote about Breast Milk Pops and when you abbreviated BM, my mind went straight to the gutter. I've been dealing with diapers too long!!!!

HA!