Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ode to Sleeping 4 Year Olds

My kiddo's are different, not one is the same
to fall asleep at 4 years old tis not a game.
Each had a different way to enter their dreams.
And the Momma does know what it means
to fall asleep with a treasured blanket or finger
that helps those sweet dreams to linger and linger

Child number one
Would have nothing to do with her thumb
for this child her green, fuzzy blanket helped sleep to come.

She wrapped it about her head like a hood,
it's presence reassuring her that the world was good.
We now joke that she will be quite a sight
when she wears it on her wedding night.

For child number two
Nothing but her thumb would do.
She sucked it raw day and night
She sucked and sucked with all her might

And to help herself fall asleep she twirled her curls
she twirled far more then other girls.
One night she twirled so hard
that her finger got stuck
and her Momma had her hair to cut.

Nothing would do for Child Number Three
then to suck two fingers and hold his pee-pee.
(Pee-Pee is penis in case you may wonder,
This Momma can't rhythm to save her ??)
He would fall into deep and peaceful sleep,
privates clutched hard the better to keep
them from getting lost in the middle of a dream

The baby child, our last but not least,
without her yellow blanket is a right old beast.
She tucks her love under her tummy
with knees drawn up like a chicken yummy
and rocks and rocks herself until she falls
asleep as sweet, peaceful dreamland calls

Skankie Blankie is it's name
cause washing it is not for the lame.

Each is unique, each is dear
and it becomes increasing clear
that loving each one best
gives this Momma a good night's rest


No, I was not drinking when I composed this! It was an attempt to have some fun and remember the unique way each of my children went to sleep at 4. I think I am going to the leave the rhyming to the poets next time.

Update: The 11 year has given up her thumb and the 8 year old does not need to suck his fingers or clutch his privates as he falls asleep. Although it is undoubtedly his favorite body part. My 13 year old still needs her green blanket around her head which leads me to believe that it will be many years before I see the last of my 4 year olds "skankie blankie".

5 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Nice poem!

All three of my kids had blankets when they were babies. Now my boys are 14 and 15 and guess what - they still sleep with them!

Anonymous said...

My oldest was four when he finally started sleeping through the night. My 4-yr-old memory of him is when he walked in on - well, you know - and said, "What are you doing, mommy?" to me (giving my husband a near-heart-attack). I told him we were playing and told him to go back to bed. He was satisfied with that answer.

Now he's 17 and sleeps so hard it nearly impossible to wake him. Hard to believe it's the same kid.

Pollyanna said...

That was sooo cute! I love it. One of my boys, he's 8, still sucks his thumb when he falls asleep. I know it's bad, but his teeth are OKAY, and he looks like such a pretty, cute little baby and makes me go, "OWWWW, HOW sweet!". And, well, Trent hardly ever does anything that makes me do that when he's conscious, so i take what I can get. And the 5 year old is funny, he still likes a glass of moo milk to go to sleep and twists a lock of his hair to fall asleep. Again, TOO cute. Aren't kids funny?
This was a sweet post, thanks!

but Momma said...

Very Cute! It's hard not to love em best when they're sleeping!

I've got 2 pacifiers, 1 finger sucker and one boy with no vices. Go figure?

Cheryl said...

I loved it!