Why is it that my kids eat more during the summer then when they are in school? Now that they are home all day the food is flying off of the shelves and out of the refrigerator.
Mom, I'm hungry!
Well, fix yourself something to eat.
There's nothing good left. You need to go shopping.
So yesterday afternoon, the 13 year old and I went shopping together. The 11 year old was in charge of the younger ones and just a cell phone call away. Plus PBS was turned on so I knew that they would be in the exact same spots where I left them when I returned.
I haven't been grocery shopping with just my 13 year old in a long time. It was so much fun! She helped me bag fruit, fetched items from the shelves and pushed the heavily ladened cart. What made it so fun was her enthusiasm. She was literally leaping in the aisles. She would say, "Oh, I LOVE food!" and then she would give a leap with her arms raised above her head. She practically danced from the front door to the check out line.
I haven't had such a great time grocery shopping in an age. Joy is infectious.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Leaping in the Aisles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I love grocery shopping, too!! Love picking out the in-season produce and seeing what's new, love picking out special spices for some new recipe, love the meat dept. (used to be a vegetarian, but am now wayyyyyy into meat eating...) and chatting with the butchers about how to cook stuff I've never made before.
How wonderful for your 13 year old to enjoy it, too! My sis and I grew up with a grammy that taught us to appreciate food and it's preparation. Lovely memories.
Weird, isn't it, how different it feels to have one of your kids to yourself? The nature of the relationship is completely different. It's like having a friend along to do whatever you're doing. I wish I had more time for one-on-one time with each of mine.
I LOVE to grocery shop too. Especially alone. When my neice lived with me, she was 13, I loved taking her to the store. We would have a GREAT time. I sure never knew what I was gonna come home with, that's for sure. :)
Post a Comment