Yesterday was another gray, overcast day. Rain, again. Only 4 days worth this time, not 2 plus weeks, Thank God. I threw on a old pair of rarely used work out pants and my baggiest, oldest, softest flannel shirt. Because, and here's the kicker, I did not have to get into my car EVEN ONCE. All day. If you have kids, or have had kids, you know what a rare occurrence that is. And it was purely wonderful. Here is what I did with my day:
- Got the older kids up and off to school.
- Emptied the dishwasher and loaded the breakfast dishes.
- Blog surfed while I drank my tea.
- Folded 3 loads of laundry.
- Put the laundry away.
- Ventured into "Momma's Magic Attic" to retrieve summer clothes for the 4 year old.
- Discovered that the north facing window in the attic was totally rotten and that water was getting into the house.
- With the help of the 4 year old, put her "new" clothes away in her dresser.
- With more help from the 4 year old, discovered a rotten piece of fruit in the bottom of a toy container.
- Put my dirty clothes in the washer.
- Lay down on the couch to read for a moment (Wicked).
- Had the 4 year discover that her Momma's body was in the prone position and perfect for laying on.
- Played "imagination" game with 4 year old until lunch time.
- Made lunch.
- Greeted 8 year old son at back door as he returned from school.
- Read 8 and 4 year pre-nap book.
- Tucked reluctant children in for nap ( 8 year old was supposed to be cleaning his toxic waste dump of a room. He played his guitar instead).
- Was woken from my nap when the 13 and 11 year olds returned from school.
- Listened to 13 year old relate how she was able to overcome her negativity about her role in the school play.
- Switched my clothes to the dryer.
- Put the new Dixie Chicks CD on and danced in the living room with the 8 and 4 year olds.
- Blog surfed while I drank my afternoon tea.
- Went through the mail and threw most of it in the recycling bin.
- Asked 8 year old to clean toys and bucket containing rotted fruit as he was the most likely culprit.
- Chatted with a sister on the telephone.
- Hung up on sister when I heard the screams of joy coming from the kitchen.
- Instructed the 8 year old to stop sliding in the 15 gallons of water he had "accidentally" dumped onto the kitchen floor.
- Went outside when the 4 and 11 year old joined in the sliding fun.
- Came running back in when the 4 year collided with a piece of furniture and hurt her foot.
- Comforted the hurt child.
- Turned on PBS.
- Poured myself a glass of wine.
- Informed the 8 year old that he could only watch TV when the kitchen floor was dry.
- Started dinner (Tacos).
- Stayed the hell out of the way as the 13 and 11 year old had a food fight with the Taco fixin's that they were preparing.
- Told the 13 year old that "I don't care what you do as long as I can't see that you did it."
- Poured myself a second glass of wine.
And there the tale of my Dress Down Friday ends. Except that I have to express gratitude to my 8 year old: My kitchen floor is clean!


3 comments:
heheheehe. Sounds like a GREAT day. :) I LOVE days like that, when you can just stay home all day. It sounds like you got some stuff done, so that's even better. here's to more days like that. *raises coffee cup for a toast,hey, it's only 10:38AM I'm not drinking gin yet! :)*
Oh what a wonderful day. make sure the weather clears up by September however when I'm headed up to your woody neck of the woods.
Thanks so much for the great comment over at my place and for pointing the way back here.
I'll toast to that...
Post a Comment