Friday, September 01, 2006

Memory

No, I have not dropped off the face of the earth. I am at my sister's house helping her with her new baby. Her hubby went back to his rig on Wednesday and I arrived that evening.

You forget, you know. Even after 4 children you forget about the smells and rythums of a newborn. The sqeaking noises they make as they sleep or stretch. The way their heads smell so sweet. The feathery soft feel of the down of a cheek against your lips. The smiles that appear as they sleep giving you a fleeting glimpse of the toddler to come. The way they can be screaming one moment and then drop off into a deep sleep the next. You forget.

It is good to know that I have not forgotten how to change a diaper. How to put a baby into a sling...and take him back out again. How to rock and sooth and whisper into a small, curved ear. Those came back instantly. Some things you never forget.

Thank you, Denise, for naming me your Friday Fabulous Female. I am so honored. I tried to move the banner over here and was not able to figure it out on my sister's computer. Another example of my subperb computer skills!
(I am also without my spellchecker and apologize for any errors.)

6 comments:

Kara said...

No, you're right, every time I see a newborn it envokes all those things. They are sweet little glimpses of heaven

meno said...

Mmmmm, baby smell.

Your sister is lucky to have you there with all your experience. I hope her body is doing ok.

Bluepaintred said...

You do forget, I remember babysitting my neice as a new born, my youngest was only a year or so then, and I forgot just how much work they take, and ho9w small, and how darn good they smell and feel!

me said...

and that squeaky baby cry, and how easy it is to just hold them. awww i miss my new nephew..enjoy your time

but Momma said...

Ooooo that downy fuzzy hair against your lips and that smell...I just don't there is ANYTHING better than that. Oh and their little tiny perfect lips when they're sleeping.

NO! I DON'T want another one, I DON'T want another one, I .....

Angel Baby said...

I went to a mom's group yesterday and there was a nine month old who kept wanting to crawl on my lap and then just stare into my face.

It was, strangely, powerful.

And confirmed my wanting another baby. (!)

A lot to think about.

What a wonderful gift for you to get to spend time with your little niece. You are a great aunt!