My Mom just called to check in. My son answered the phone "Chaos and Pandemonium"
My Mom asked which one he was. Without missing a beat he answered "Chaos".
(I should mention that my ex used to answer the phone with this witty greeting. I have adopted it as my own. But only when the atmosphere warrants.)
Today was the first day of school for the whole herd. If you discount the hair pulling stress of dropping 4 kids at 2 different schools that are 20 miles apart, it was lovely. As in, I found myself bursting into song and skipping. The foolish grin stayed on my face up until the point that I picked them up at noon. (Half days this week for all.)
We had a bit of an unplanned excitement last night. Well, to be honest, most of the excitement at my house is of the unplanned variety.
My fierce, critter loving terrier cornered a small, furry animal of unknown species under a bush in the backyard. After sunset. The sound of the dog freaking out followed by the kids freaking out made me break into a run. By the time I got to the bush my eldest daughter was on her hands and knees with her head practically in the bush trying to identify the critter. The dog was unapproachable...as all terriers are when they get the scent of live meat into their noses.
After shrieking for the girl-child to get out from under the bush I moved the troops out of range. All I needed was for some rabid critter to take a nip out of one of my babies. When I turned back around I considered how I was going to get the dog away from the critter. Somehow I knew that a dog treat would pale in comparison to whatever was under the bush.
At that moment my dog went in for the kill. Dog, with small critter clutched in his jaws, disappeared into the dark nether regions of the backyard.
And I was not inclined to chase him down.
My children, to say the least, were distraught. Highly distraught.
I herded everyone back inside. They were not interested in my explanations about the nature of dogs. In their young minds dog was evil and small, helpless, cute, furry rabbit?, kitten?, kangaroo? was the embodiment of all good.
Later I returned to the backyard with a fist full of dog treats which my pup was happy to consume. Once he had been lured away from his kill and back safely in the house I returned to the backyard with a flashlight. Eldest girl-child had already informed me that the small critter was still breathing. How it was able to do that with its backbone exposed beats me. She wanted to call animal rescue. I wanted to dispose of the body. Heartless, that's me.
Small, furry critter was a baby possum. Long snout. Small pointy teeth. Long rat-like naked tail. Yup, Mother Extraordinaire a.k.a Wildlife Expert determined that the nearly deceased was indeed a baby possum.
There are some in my house, who will remain nameless, who are still in mourning for the baby possum.
But not this heartless Momma.
Damn, am I glad that the dog just received a rabies shot! Remember the porcupine from hell...?
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Chaos and Pandemonium
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
(parallel life) my cat the other day caught, and pranced, very proudly, around with a small rabbit. nothing says good morning like your cat on the deck with thumper clutched in her jaws. the younger 2 couldn't understand how the cat can be so heartless. quite frankly, i am glad she is getting into winter kill mode. (no mice)
This morning brought me a nearly dead rat, courtesy of my cat. I never know what to do with the not-dead ones. I can't just bash their heads against the garbage can like my dad used to do. I am to much of a softy to want to cause them more pain. But mourn them, nah. A good rat (mole, snake, whatever) is a dead rat.
Possums are marsupials and resistant to rabies so don't sweat it.
You could start your own wildlife show! Careful, it might be a skunk next!
I love your phone greeting and may "adopt" it as my own! :)
Why can't they just learn how to hunt down loose change and collect it in a neat pile for us to find?
Is it awful that that possum pic is one of the most frightening things I've ever seen? I'm pretty sure I'll have nightmares about it...
I'm with you on this!! Yuck!
REgarding the previous post about your son. My 8-year-old grandson (my daughter's stepson), cries at the drop of a pin. About everything. In front of anyone. Can there be a happy medium here? HE doesn't really cry when he gets physically hurt, but he can't handle being told what to do and when to do it. Really difficult right now.
I need to have my wife read your story.
We are in the market for a dog... I want a terrier, she doesn't.
However, she wasn't real keen on the oppossum that was living in our garage a while back, and a killer terrier might just be the fix for that!
Never a dull moment huh?
P.S. Really like the look of your blog! :)
ack that thing is too cute. are possums dangerous?
Maybe next time you should just say Pandemonium?
Possoms. Yuck. You really are a tower of strength in moments of crisis, aren't you?
Post a Comment