The blinking cursor and the blank screen have never given me pause before. It is not so much that I am afraid to write. It is more that I have a hard time summoning the will to write. As with everything else in my life lately writing has become just another chore. And yet, like eating well and putting on a bit of make-up each morning, it is integral to my mental health. It is a catharsis. A release.
Part of my reluctance to write is that everything is a muddle in my brain. In the past, when I sat down to write I already had a sense of where I was going. There was the satisfaction of a beginning, middle and an end. The fulfillment of a well told story. Lately, I don't know where to start or even what I am trying to say.
The support and encouragement that I received after my last post blew me away. It is good to know that I am not alone. Good to know that others have walked and are walking the same path. The information offered has been written down and in some cases, acted upon. Mostly, I am overwhelmed by the power of this medium to touch and heal individual lives. In a culture that has grown increasing complicated and cold this has brought love and warmth into my home and heart. I am very grateful.
My hesitation to write about my sadness is a symptom of a larger problem. My blog, which was started as a place to write about the days of my life, had become a place of self imposed expectations. Let me see if I can explain.
The question "How are you doing?" is asked of me quite frequently. At church, at the kids various schools, in my community my friends and acquaintances ask this question. Often. And have since that day over 2 years ago when my life went careening off course. My answer is almost always the same. "We are fine. Doing well. And you?"
When lately all I have really wanted to say is "It sucks! Sucks! Sucks! It sucks big, long donkey dicks. And you?"
They are just expressing their care and concern. I get that. And by reassuring them that everything is "fine" I think I am telling them what they want to hear. I am also trying to invoke the power of positive thinking. If I say things are "fine" then it will be so. Only it hasn't worked.
There are very few people in my life that I can be real with. Even those I hesitate to tell the truth to. My mom and sisters worry about me and by telling just the tiniest lie I am saving them the worry. Right? So I tell people what I think they want to hear. "I'm fine". When I'm anything but.
And part of it is admitting that I am not as strong or resilient as I think I am. Or was, in a past life. That I wear a mask most of the time. A mask that shows the world the me I used to be.
See, no beginning, middle or end. Just stream of consciousness. Feels kind of weird and nice at the same time.
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Behind the Mask
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Maybe no begginning middle and end, but well written and honest to boot. Im pretty sure that the most common lie, world over is "I'm fine"
well, sometimes you arent fine, but its almost more of a hassle to have them know... all they really want to do is help, and in the long run its great, but in the interim, its a hassle of .. ok yes Im sad , and now that I have admitted it to you, I must immediatly start looking for a way to be happy again... that kind of thing.
sometimes its easier to tell the lie, and be sad for a while then to tell the truth and end up pretending to be happy..
anyways... HUGS me scurvy land lubber
Sometimes it's easier to say "i'm fine" than to let all those people into your life. It's just too complicated.
You have great courage to admit that you are not fine, and that you are not as strong as you have been pretending. My experience has been that the people who love you want to help, and they will.
I'm glad it helps to know that others of us understand.
I think you can tell that your friends here are not just "fair weather fans."
Just keep writing whatever comes out and we'll be here to listen and return our 2 cents worth (just try and stop us!)
We love you when you're funny and even more when you're sad.
I think meno is correct - I say "fine" when I don't want to delve into why I'm not fine. (And you do remember that FINE is a four letter word that starts with F!)
I have this theory that sometimes it's important to wallow in your misery and despair. There are sunny days and there are rainy days - take them all as gifts even though you don't see the gifts. You would not recognize happiness if you had not known sadness.
Hugs and kisses over the lines until turkey day.
You know there is nothing wrong with just saying, Im not doing so well. The world would be a better place, I think if we all could be honest like you have been in this piece.
I hear you on the positive thinking thing. I grew up in a household where that was everything but I felt it denied me the ability to speak truth. I think as long as you can acknowledge that where you are is temporary then it is okay to just say, Life sucks.
Hugs to you!
I love your stories, but I love how you are sharing YOU in this post. I, for one, will read no matter what. You are an excellent writer no matter what the topic or the writing style.
That said, I just read this and your last post. I haven't been reading much this week. I am so sorry you are struggling. I hope you can always use this forum as a release when "I'm fine" is all you can manage to your friends and family.
I wish I had some brilliant advice to offer, but I don't. Just a cyber hug (or would a cyber beer be better, lol?) Either way, here's hoping it gets better soon.
"I just read this and your last post. I haven't been reading much this week. I am so sorry you are struggling. I hope you can always use this forum as a release when "I'm fine" is all you can manage to your friends and family."
My thoughts EXACTLY. This is one of the great things about blogging, in my estimation, you can admit to totally NOT being fine one day and then the next day be totally funny and nobody looks at you and says, er types, "what the HELL is wrong with you? Are you schizophrenic or something? Or worse asks, who forgot to take their anti-crazy-pills this morning? hummm, who???"
Everybody just reads whatever you write, comments, and moves on. I LOvE THAT. There is so much freedom in having someplace to go to be yourself, again, in my estimation.
that being said, I am sorry you are sad and NOT fine. And here's a cyber hug and a HUGE martini for you on the side! :)
For me the hardest part about being anxious is the idea that "what if this lasts forever?" It felt so good to have people tell me that wasn't the case. If I couldn't believe it at the time, I believed that other people believed it and that gave me peace. So listen to me: IT DOES NOT LAST FOREVER. But you need to take action. NOW. You need a routine: EVERY DAY. Here's something for you to do tomorrow:
1. Get up
2. Get dressed and put on makeup.
3. Get the kids off to school
4. March right over to your church and tell whoever normally asks you how you are that you are NOT FINE
5. Look into some health insurance, lie about your feelings of depression so you're not excluded, then get some insurance. It's more important than your kids' Xmas gifts, your cappucinos, or your house payments. If you have to take on a renter and sleep in your livingroom in order to get some money for this, DO IT.
Yes, I really am that bossy.
That was a very touching post. I too hope that you find your color. I don't think we're ever as "fine" as we want others to think.
You shouldn't worry too much about readers. I thought a blog was supposed to be personal, and not about pleasing others or popularity.
If you write it, they will come.
I'm bossy, too (and asthmatic) - get that health insurance.
That said, it's plenty okay with us to say, "Man this SUCKS," here. If this is the place for your release, then girl - take it. You don't have to wear that mask.
Oh, and - get that insurance!
:-)
You are such a talented writer. You are one of the ones I have to go back and read all the posts I've missed when i finally make it online for the week.
All I can say is whay do people even bother to ask "how are you doing?" anymore. No one ever answers honestly and if they did,t he asker would run for cover. It's kind of funny. We all want to know our neighbors-- but not really.
Post a Comment