New addictions can be fun and a little bit scary at the same time. I have a few old ones too, but don't we all. My new one is computer related. EBay to be specific.
This computer has been in my home for 9 months. In all of that time I have had no desire to check out eBay. Over the past few years I had listened to stories from family members and had formed a rather negative opinion of the service.
One of my sisters was sucked into the eBay vortex several years ago. She has been known to sit in her chair with her laptop and a cup of coffee and ebay for hours. Her tales of bides won and lost, although thrilling to her, sounded faintly compulsive to me.
Another sister has become hooked within the last year. She loves to search for yarn and kids clothes. Yet another family member succumbs to the Evil eBay Empire.
Never happen to me. One of the many "nevers" I have foolishly uttered over the course of my life. For example, I would never smoke, drink, do illegal drugs, have kids, get a speeding ticket, let my kids have dried snot on their faces and never, ever hit, scream or throw things at my children. Just to name a few. I think I have an unconscious desire to eat my own words, however unpleasant that may be. (Before you call Child Protective Services please know that several of the items in the above list have only happened once.)
So, I've come under the eBay spell. Mesmerized. Part of the fascination is the idea that I am getting great deals. That really appeals to my wide streak of Yankee Frugality. Part of the fascination is the thrill of the WIN! Another one of my streaks: highly competitive.
In the last several days I have bid on three items. Oh, the joy! The elation of winning the bids for earrings for my daughters birthdays. I was so pleased with myself.
And then, horror of horrors, I lost an auction. And an important one at that. All my eldest daughter really wants for her birthday next month is a trench coat. Don't ask. It's a teenage thing. After many hours of searching we found the perfect coat. In her size. At a price that I could afford. Life was good.
I entered my maximum bid several days before the end of the auction. A fair bid. And because I really wanted that coat the bid was $20.00 higher then the minimum. I felt safe.
As the time counted down I was reading blogs and switching back to ebay every few minutes. Every time I refreshed the screen I was still the highest bidder. But not that last time! I blew it. Some bitch swooped in at the 11th hour and STOLE MY COAT.
My jaw hit the floor. I was so pissed! Robbed! I had been robbed! That was my coat, damn it! My daughter had her heart set on that coat. It was a sure thing. A done deal.
I looked around for the phone to call someone, anyone to complain. EBay must have a customer service number, right? No? No....
It has taken several days and some thought to realize that I made a few first timer mistakes.
- Never, ever take your eye off the ball.
- Never, ever set your heart on an item.
- Never, ever share your finds with your child(ren) unless the item is in the bag.
I have found another coat that will fit the bill. Sadly, the bidding has already gone out of my price range. And I am resisting following the herd just for the thrill of the hunt. That path leads to bankruptcy.
But with birthday season looming and then the Christmas season I think my skill level will increase. Let's hope.


12 comments:
You, my friend, have been SNIPED! Savy eBayers will lurk in the background and only submit their bid within the last 20 seconds or so. It doesn't seem fair but that's the way it works.
Unfortunatley, there's even software available that will snipe for you to ensure you can steal the deal at the last possible second.
Mr. Harmonica is right. When we sold our van on ebay, it went up in price by $2,000 in the last minute or two. Good for us, bad for bidders who weren't paying attention.
oooh number three. YES SO TRUE we generally dont tell the kids our plans untill its 100%. weather its just going to the park "tommorrow' they get sad if we wake up to rain!
I have family members that are ebay addicted too. To bad about the trench coat. Maybe you could post a pic of what she wants in the "wanted" section of Craigslist?
This is so sad but I have to ask...what is Craigslist?
NEVER bid on something until it's close to ending, all you're doing is jacking the price up...i learned that one early. wait until the last possible minute to bid..not to say i have ebayed ever or anything.....
Dude! What they said! I remember trying to buy a Bumbo online and just yelling at the screen "WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING BIDDING NOW!!?! YOU'VE RAISED THE PRICE BEYOND WHAT IT COSTS IN STORES AND THERE'S TWO DAYS LEFT ON THE AUCTION!"
Seriously, know how much the item costs in stores, because people are stupid and jack the prices way high sometimes.
Also, if you've got your heart set on a thing, try searching for Buy it Nows.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html
I haven't tried ebay yet. But I learned a lot from your post and the comments. Good luck out there in ebay land.
Lisa
I LIIIIVE for selling on Ebay. All I do in my spare time is thrift and flip. Thrift and flip. In fact, I just bought 200 pieces of designer brand name plus size clothing and am opening my new store next month. Details to come. A GREAT way to make money. I will help you start your own store when you're ready.
Ashley, check out my post on how Keith (at 9) did an in-person SNIPE at a silent auction. (Which nearly cost me one of our cars...) Just enter "auction" in the search this blog box.
I also googled "snipe" and you should, too, so you can see what you're up against - there is software people buy so they can snipe on Ebay without even being there!! Craziness! (Someone like Keith thought it up, too - I'm sure.)
*giggles* youre addicted youre addicted ...
and craigslist.com rocks ... for almost everything :)
Post a Comment