Monday, September 18, 2006

The Wee Hour

It's 1 am in the morning and I should be asleep. Except I'm not. I've been laying up there like an owl staring into the dark unable to will myself to fall asleep. Steroids do that to me.

Steroids, you ask? Yes, Steroids. To reduce the inflammation from the killer ashtma attack that was brought on by the Head Cold from Hell. I am better. I can breath once again. Sleep...well, that may have to wait until I'm done with the 'roids...in 3 days.

So I'm laying there in the dark thinking about stuff. About how I haven't been out of bed long enough to write or read at my computer. And feeling sorry for myself. And then I remembered my eldest daughter. I knew I had to strike while the iron was hot or I would forget by morning.

My daughter made a serious grooming error. The kind of error we tend to make when we are teenagers.

Like when my friend Rosemary shaved off one eyebrow by mistake. Quicker eye brow plucking not always giving the best results.

Or when I cut my bangs but forgot that I had curly hair. I wore a bandanna for 6 weeks to cover the hairline fringe of fuzz I had created.

And my poor daughter, who in an ill planned attempt to heal a sty plucked out most of the eyelashes from her right eyelid.

So sad.

So damn hard not to giggle. Just not cool to do it where she can see me.

11 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

ouch! eyelash???are you supposed to pluck those? i admit Imnot the girliest girl, but I thought it was eyebrows... I will say again, OUCH!

Anonymous said...

Silly girl! You don't pluck eyelashes!

Actually, I did that once when I was 10 (I think...maybe younger), it took about a month for my eyes to look normal again.

Feel better steroid queen. I'm gonna report you to the Olympics. :P

Meg said...

oh dear...and OUCH

meno said...

When i was young, i took a comb and rolled it up in my long hair, all the way to the scalp. My dad had to use a hacksaw to cut it out.

Funny now, not so funny for the months that it took to regrow that 1/2 inch of hair to a decent length.

Poor baby. NOT giggling (much).

Princess in Galoshes said...

Oh! That's funny. I also tried to trim my own, very long bangs around age 13... and went for four days with something that resembled a staircase going across my forehead, before I realized that was Not Good.

I feel her pain.

Anonymous said...

What a good Mom not to laugh in front of her. Sometimes that's the best we can do, right?

but Momma said...

I was reading along and feeling so sorry for you and then I thought "Oh dear Lord, she's got hemmaroids too? OOOHHH! Ste-roids! GOT IT!"

It must be time for bed...

Thanks goodness it wasn't the eyebrow thing, that's WAY worse!

Cheryl said...

Oh...hope both of you get better!

Unknown said...

Ow! That is painful to think about.
Get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hee. You can blame your giggling on the roid rage. Makes you do strange things, you know?

Anonymous said...

Ever coughed while using an eyelash curler? I have - with the same results as your poor eyelashless daughter. I wiped out MOST of the top lashes of my right eye in one second. This was, btw, about six months ago. I went through shock, cursing and crying all within 30 seconds.

They do grow back, fairly quickly. But still. Poor thing. I feel her pain.
:-(