(This post will remain at the top all week. Please see below for current posts. Life must go on!)
Several months ago Harmonica Man wrote in his blog about the 2,996 Project. The Project's objective is to memorialized the almost 3,000 victims of 9/11. You sign up and are assigned a victim. You are then asked to write about the person in your blog.
In Memoriam.
For months this has been in the back of my mind. How would I, could I possibly write about a person I did not know. Had never met. How could I possibly understand the level of grief and suffering his family and friends have waded through during the last five years? Not only did I feel unequal to the task but felt it would be presumptuous.
God works in mysterious ways. Over the last few weeks a new life has entered my family. Two friends of my family were in a terrible accident but survived. And a child of a friend's family passed away from leukemia.
These are the tides of life. Death, birth and redemption. All of which evoke fierce emotions. Joy. Pain. Sorrow. Gratitude. To shy away from any of them is a choice not to live life to its fullest.
So, here goes.

Gerald Michael Olcott was 55 years old on the morning of September 11th, 2001. I was 40 years old. My third sister had given birth to her first child on the 1st. I was pregnant with my fourth child.
He had been dropped off at the WTC by his son that morning. I was grocery shopping by myself for the first time in many years. My 3 year old son had started preschool that morning and my daughters were also at school. It was a thrilling occasion for me.
At check-out the clerk mentioned that a plane had hit the WTC in NYC. I thought she was joking. Gerald, a VP of claims for the insurance brokerage March McLennan, may have been at his desk. Or in a meeting. Day dreaming about playing golf. Or making a colleague laugh.
That night, I cooked dinner for my family. I was numb, as was much of the Nation. As was his family. He loved to cook for his family. We had that in common. When I cook I am cooking my love into the food. I am not just feeding their bodies but feeding their souls. Did he think along the same lines?
He also lived with joy. That was one of the bits of information that shone though in the scant information I was able to find about Gerald. He lived with joy. And I am trying hard to Live Joyously.
And he loved.
And I love.
As I sit at my computer in my comfortable home, sipping wine and watching my youngest play at my feet I am counting my blessings.
Gerald, my wish for your family is that they are living with joy.
Are you are smiling down from Heaven at a woman in Maine who has struggled with this task? Maybe you would be telling me to "lighten up"?
I wish that I had met you.
Rest in Peace.
(This post will stay at the top all week. Assuming that I can figure out how to do that. Are you chuckeling, Gerald?)



31 comments:
oh, that was wonderfully written. I will be posting mine at 12am on september 11th. i think theis tribute is a wonderful idea and over the next few weeks I will be going thru the blogroll of people hwo have made this tribute.
i wish there was a way to contact the families of the people we are remembering. just to let them know that some one else is missing their loved one too
I like the way you laid out your tribute. We took two different approaches, but I think in the end we reached the same wonderful goal. I only hope that Mr. Olcott is chuckling and that his family has peace...
What a beautiful tribute. You, like me, went over your day and wondered about how the other was at those same times.. I never thought about doing that also- but it's never far from my mind...
Hi! Thanks for visiting my tribute. I cry when I read them all. Like you, I started my day with joy at my eldest son's 8th birthday. I got to work (I was an Army soldier) and my world changed. 5 years later, I still cry. My husband, also a soldier, is in Afghanistan as I type this. My world, and everyone else's, will never be the same!
Beautifully written.
Mine can be found here.
Thank you for your beautiful post. Not only was I able to glimpse into Gerald's life, but I was able to see how it paralleled yours. It brings home the point that he was so very much more than just a victim of 9/11. He was a loving, beautiful soul. How the earth must have groaned with his death. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, knowing that the days leading up to 9/11 are difficult enough.
Rest in Peace Gerald Olcott,
Blessings,
Auntie Lyn
That was amazing.
I'm signing up right this second.
I'm going to sign up, too. I have been ruminating on the meaning of life a lot, and with all my blessings, I have so much to be thankful for. Good timing.
That was very well written. I'm glad that I participated in this fine project of D.C's.
Thank you for stopping by my 9/11.
That was a great tribute. I felt much the same way, trying to write about someone you don't know. You did it beautifully! May we all live joyously. Thanks.
Such a lovely tribute.
Very good tribute. I think this was the greatest idea. Thanks for visiting mine.
You really personalized that tribute wonderfully. Thanks for stopping by my tribute to Marjorie C. Salamone.
This is what the day should be about. This is remembrance. The people. Not the buildings. Not all that has come after. Not the politicizing.
Thank you for highlighting the project. It is too easy to say that thousands died that day and then turn away in sadness. The tragedy is realized when you break that large number down into ONE over and over and over again. Thank you for making one person's story remind us.
Ashley - this was really really nice. I've always loved your writing so I'm soooo glad you chose to participate. I hope Mr. Olcott's family and friends find this too.
I love the way you wrote that with your own memories interspersed. That was beautiful.
I loved how you wove together your experience with his. Very beautifully done. Very moving.
Lisa
Well done and beautifully written and personalised. A great tribute.
Well written! This is a beautiful tribute.
I was pregnant with my 4th child on 9/11, too. He will be 5 next month.
To keep a post at the top for the rest of the week, you need to go back to the dashboard, click your blog's name and go into "Edit Posts" (it's under the Posting tab.) Click on this post. Down at the bottom of the area where you type your post, you will see "Post and Comment Options." Click that and change the date of your post to a week from now. It will stay at the top until you post something after that date. This was probably way too detailed, I'm sure you know most of this already. This is the only way I know to make a sticky in Blogger.
I Remember Anna Williams Allison
A beautiful tribute, thank you for participating in this project. I am honoring five, please stop by if you get a free moment.
Thank you for your tribute. I came here via Notes from the Trenches. I'm blog-hopping today reading the 9/11 tributes.
lovely............
Wow. Small world even in blogs. One of my honorees, Susan was also a VP at Marsh McLennan. My other honoree was Jon. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I too remembered the things I did that day as the events were unfolding. Being on the West Coast at the time, it was all so surreal. It is our generation's Pearl Harbor.
Beautiful and touching. Your writing is lovely, and your treatment of Gerald's life along with your own memories of the day are very nice.
Beautifully written.
This was SUCH a beautiful post! I felt the exact same way about signing up to do a tribute. Too intimidated. I love the way you weaved back and forth to your day. I had chill bumps all the way through!
A very nice tribute, I hope Mr. Olcott's family get the chance to read it. He and his family will be in my prayers.
I was going to tell you exactally what Jen said about making your post stay up at the top...just change it's date. but then Jen taught me all I know about blogging.
You did a very nice job. I too felt at a loss to honor someone I had never met. (this would have made for a very good assignment when I was in school!)
Today for the first time I explained to my DD what the big deal of today is.
This is beautiful, thank you!
I made tribute to Major Dwayne Williams at the Pentagon.
I love the way your structured the post. It must have been difficult to write about someone you don't know, but you handled the task with lots of heart.
Thank you
Very sweet tribute. You did an excellent job that you should be proud of.
I am impressed with how you handled a task like that. No easy feat, but you did it gracefully.
Very beautifully written.
-First time reader. (way to set the standard extraordinarily high.)
Post a Comment