I am pleased to announce a new Olympic Event. The Indoor One Man Bobsled.
Our team has been practicing for the last several hours.
Interested in this exciting new sport? Here are the rules and equipment requirements:
Equipment:
1 sleeping bag, zipped.
1 comforter to stuff into sleeping bag
2 bedroom pillows to stuff into sleeping bag on top of comforter
First Aide Kit
Course:
1 set of extremely steep hardwood stairs.
Hardwood door at bottom of the run. For stopping.
Sharp left hand dog leg at bottom of the run. Optional
Rules:
Athlete squeezes into sled. Athlete positions himself at the top of the run. The pusher shoves the athlete as hard as possible. This is the key to a good run. If there is a poor push then the athlete will not reach maximum velocity before crashing into the wooden door. Extra points are awarded if the athlete successfully navigates the left hand turn into the front hall a.k.a. winners circle a.k.a First Aide Station, a.k.a. Spectator viewing area.
Penalty points are awarded for falling out of sled before reaching the bottom.
Caution:
The Two Man Indoor Bobsled, while highly entertaining to spectators, is not recommended. The younger, lighter athlete, who is placed at the front of the sled, inevitably sustains serious injuries upon impact with the wooden door.
(Who said I was over protective? I did? Well, I'm cool with all manner of deadly sports as long as they happen in my own home.)
Thursday, September 07, 2006
One Man Bobsled
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
WoooHooOOooOoOoooooo
Sounds like fun times at one tall momma's house!
Your kids must love the heck out of you! :)
Oh i've done this!!! sorta...but close! How I managed to not break anything as a kid i'll never know.
OHMYGOD, I'm laughing so hard... hope no one broke anything that won't heal itself.
When we first started leaving the kids alone to go out to dinner alone at least once a month, we got this call from Zach (then 14): "Mom! Hannah and Keith are trying to ride the INFLATABLE SPONGEBOB down the stairs!!!"
(Our stairs are u-shaped, which wasn't really condusive to sledding. But they gave it a shot, albeit with none of the padding your more safety-conscious children came up with, LOL...)
Sounds like a future "X Games" event. Keep training!
SHOUTS* I want pictures*
I wanna race! My husband used to slide down the stairs on a mattress-- boys will be boys
Ha! Glad it's not just us!
(Except for us it's a carboard matt going down the carpeted stair and all the way out the back door.
OMG, sounds like great fun! Happy friday and have a great weekend! :)
You see, this is exactly why I can't let Girlie read blogs on the internet. We have all the ingredients here for that event - but she hasn't thought of it yet. No siblings for pushing might be a problem too.
How fun! Very funny too. Would you call this "controlled crashes"?
Have a great weekend!
Is there an age limit? I am sooooo doing this when I get home. I live five flights up -- so the ride should be awesome.
--kelly
I LOVE IT! My kids have tried that with the inflatable sleeping bag, but I get mad and poop on the party.
You better come on down and help me lighten up!
Sure, it's easy to ride hardwood when you weigh, what - 50 lbs max? Try that at grown-up weight and you've got yourself a ride in an ambulance! Ahh, to be young and indestructable again!
Hey, not to switch gears, but in case anyone is interested, check out all the bloggers participating in the 2996 project this weekend here. My own tribute can be found here. Just thought I'd mention it 'cause I think it's a pretty cool thing.
I love that. You have to get it on video.
I hear the Jamacian team is the one to beat.
That's it. My kids want to come stay at your house. We don't have any stairs living in this here modular home and I am much too uptight to let any indoor bobsledding be going on. Good for you Ashley! You are one cooltallmama in my book.
Post a Comment