Did your Mom teach you how to fold towels when you were a child? I can clearly remember receiving lessons as a child on the "right way" to fold a towel. And then how to place the towels in the linen closet so that all of the rounded ends were neatly stacked. Those lessons have stayed with me. I still fold towels the way my momma taught me. A family legacy.
Many years ago, before children, my ex-hubby and I had a huge argument about proper towel folding technique. His momma had also trained him. He insisted that his way was the best and only way to fold a towel. His way made them fit onto the linen closet shelf better.
Of course, I was equally passionate about my point of view. We fought. It was ugly, as our petty domestic squabbles tended to be. But we made up and agreed to disagree. We wouldn't criticize the others folding technique. Whomever folded the towels that week had cart blanche as to technique. A truce.
As I was working my way through 3 loads of laundry today, I asked my 8 year old son to fold the towels. Before he started, I gave him his first lesson on how to properly fold a towel. He loves to make paper airplanes. They litter the house. The simple symmetry involved in the folding of a towel appealed to him. He took to it like a fish to water. Each towel was perfect.
He has now been imprinted, much as a salmon is imprinted to return to its birthplace to spawn. For the rest of his life he will fold towels the way his momma taught him.
Giggle....the "right" way.
Friday, August 04, 2006
Towel Folding 101
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I love that story! Let's just hope your future daughter-in-law has the same folding technique as to avoid the same domestic dispute you had w/ your, now ex, husband!
LMAO! Score one for the momma!
I like that, it's eye opening to see how much of us they obsorb
Train 'em young!
It's amazing the things we find to fight over. My husband is a glasses up in the cupboard person, and i was raised as glasses down. We put the glasses up now because i realized i don't really care. But on the issue of how the silverware goes into the dishwasher i remain firm!!!
there is definitely a right way and a wrong way. I actually remember coming home from college and folding a towel the way my new college boyfriend's mother did - in thirds first so they came up all plump, not in half/half like my mom did. My mom saw me doing this and I know she felt betrayed. My mom died a couple years ago and to this day I regret betraying her folding style!
That's so funny. We have a similar argument over here about how to fold socks. Yes socks. I think you should match em up, and turn the mouth of the sock inside out to attach the second sock. Husband thinks you should throw them in a drawer.
To this day I turn the toilet paper back to my preferred way - fortunately my hubby of 33 years doesn't seem to care. At least he's never turned it back!
My husband and I do many things DIFFERENTLY :-) Is that a word...it looks and sounds funny, but I'm using it. Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog. It's fun to read other Maine blogs!
GOod for you! train up a boy early. When he is interviewing his future wife ask her to fold a towel for you to see if she's a fit or not. :)
hehehehehehhehehehehhe perfect.
so uh... if you were keeping score.. how many are you up on Him?
Post a Comment