Life does not always play out the way we expect it will. We plan and dream. Hope and struggle. And yet, life has a funny way of throwing us curve balls when we least expect them. We are tested, like Job.
My sister had a dream. She dreamed of giving birth to her first child in her own bed. Long before she was even married she knew in her bones the path she would walk. In our culture, the path of a home birth is not walked by many. You need an abiding faith in your body, in the natural process of labor. You need to believe that birth is not a medical event that needs to be managed but a natural process that needs to honored. And above all else, you need a great deal of confidence. Confidence not only about your choice but in your own body. That your body was built to perform many miraculous functions, the greatest being its ability to birth a child.
When my sister's labor finally started there was cause for glorious celebration. Family near and far counted the hours. We sat by the telephone, willing it to ring. But the good news was slow in coming.
When you count a labor in days rather than hours you are describing an exhaustion that few women understand. Labor may slow down but it never stops. Resting is hard, if not impossible. A 3 day labor is a trial I would not wish on my worst enemy.
She gave up a bit of her dream when she asked to go to the hospital. A bit more when she agreed to use pitocin. When the pitocin failed because her uterus was as exhausted as she was she surrendered the whole dream. But when she gave up one dream she finally achieved the greater dream of holding her strong, healthy son in her arms. The child she had wished for and dreamed of and carried under her heart for so many months was finally in her arms. In the end, that is the only dream that matters.
So we may never know why we get caught in strong currents and are swept down a path we did not want to travel. Whether is it the dream of a long and happy marriage with the man you love or the dream of a perfect birth, giving it up can be so very hard. At the end of the day the "what ifs" and second guessing are not important. It is how we choose to live with the hand we are dealt that is the true measure of a human being.
Monday, August 21, 2006
Strong Currents
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
Well, however he got here...he's safe and healthy and that's the most important part.
aw, what a sweet pea! Three days labor..eh gads!
I was all weepy and swoony until the last sentence. (TEHE)
congrats to your sister for being so brave as to admit that she needed help. It takes a strong woman to stick it out that long, and then admit that it was beyond her.
And I must say, she produced a fine looking son.
Beautiful post.
That was lovely. Thank you.
wow. what a boy!
too cute!
hope momma is doing as good as Gabe seems to be!
Congrats to your sister. A long journey but you can see the awesome results!
What an adorable little man! Congrats, Aunt Ashley! He looks like a little Keebler elf, and I mean that in the best possible way...
I'm serious, I think I can see the family resemblance. He looks like he might favor your son. He's BEAUTIFUL!
And your sister is a Brave, Tough, Momma! My nursing bra is off to her!
:)
This is what c-sections were designed for. What a brave girl she was. Hannah was 36 hours, and I was so exhausted by the time she arrived. I can't imagine doubling that time, and then having to give up everything planned for. Brave girl. Beautiful little baby boy.
:-)
So we may never know why we get caught in strong currents and are swept down a path we did not want to travel
Beautifully said. l love how you draw the parallels to your life. I am beginning to believe that it is who we become in the middle struggle that is the point of it all.w
Wonderful job, really!
He is a big strapping boy. Congratulations to you all.
That's a beautiful post. I am so glad I found your blog. It is indeed the grace with which you handle a change in course, not the course itself that matters. I wish the best for your sister and her new baby boy. And perhaps she will achieve that homebirth with another child someday. I certainly hope so, for her sake.
put away the nb sizes.....maybe the next one will get to use them. that was a lovely post. Thanks
Gosh, I've been gone for nine days and look what happens.
Beautiful post. Truly.
What a relief for your sis. I'm so happy for her. Thank you for all the updates!! It was wonderful to read them in succession...
What a beautiful read!
It was so emotional and thought-provoking.
The sweet baby is the best dream-- and one that will deliver her more hapy dreams to come
Reminds me of an old posts...
Post a Comment