Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Bun is Still in the Oven

My apologies to you all for not writing sooner. I just didn't have the heart for it.

My sister is still in labor. The contractions are still irregular. The midwives have given here a homeopathic remedy to help with her fear. They think she is "blocking" the labor.

My 3rd sister is still down with her. I am up with my Mom as my ex has the kids this weekend.

It is good that Mom and I are together. We comfort each other by telling stories of births gone by. We have been sitting and reading, knitting, doing puzzles and just keeping watch and waiting for the phone to ring.

When I wrote last week that we birth like our sisters, I wrote in relation to longer cooking times. But I may as well have written about longer delivery times as well. My first was a marathon 56 hours labor. My Mom also had a few long labors. Easier to count it in days at that point. And I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

My sister is resting and eating well. They are dealing with her fear. The baby is fine. She is 5 minutes from the local hospital in case of trouble.

On the plus side, I was a fast finisher. Once I finished the endless early labor I would blow from 3 to 10 in an hour and then push babe out in less then 5 minutes. Let's pray that we are similar in that way as well.

6 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

ohhhhh. hugs to your sister. I am sure everything will be fine, pain is horrible , but looking on the face of the baby that rested below your heart for so long make sup for it in a BIG way!

i will keep you all in my thoughts!

Unknown said...

I was thinking about your sister today. I hope she is well. I too had a long labor, 31 hours. I went from 5-10 cm in about 2 or 3 hours, but spent 2 hours pushing out the baby. I really wanted a nap and a hamburger. Lots of kisses and warm hand foot massages are being sent your sister's way. Take care. I imagine it is hard to sit idly while your sister goes through this.

Secret Mommy said...

Good thoughts for your sister. I'll be thinking of her. (And you and your mom, too!!! Waiting is hard work!) :-)

Anonymous said...

Mooooooooooooooooooooom, Tell Aunt Jessica I love her.

I'm soooooooooooooo EXCITED!!


I hope you are having a good time at Mor Mor's!


love
Eleanor

meno said...

I really hope all is well, and i am coming back a few times during the day to check for progress.

Sending good thoughts.

Bonnie B said...

Oh labor-- ouch. I had miserable labors. Long labors. But beautiful children.
I hope all goes well and the end is a quickie like yours-- the end is the worst anyway.