Friday, August 25, 2006

Drowning My Sorrows

I'm sad. Very, very sad.

My ex just pulled out of the driveway with the kids. I won't see them again for 10 days. That's a helluva long time.

I think it was hardest saying goodbye to my little one. She was in her car seat and I was giving her a hug.

"Honey, you won't see Mommy for days and days. Mommy will miss you. When you need a Mommy hug I want you to climb into Daddy's lap and tell him that you need a Mommy hug. He will help you. And I will talk to you every night. You can tell me all about your adventures. (both child and mommy weeping) When Mommy needs a Margaret hug I will just look into my heart, close my eyes and feel your arms around me. I love you. Oh, And Margaret? Margaret? This is important. Listen to me. Don't have any fun."

(giggles) Yes Mommy! I will so have fun.

No! No fun for you!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

And No Ice Cream.

Yes! Ice Cream!

Repeat above 3 more times with variations on the theme and you have a pretty good idea of why I am a mess right now.

Don't get me wrong. I have been dreaming of and planning for this vacation for a long time. It is my one week a year without children and their associated responsibilities. I have a list as long as my arm of tasks I want to accomplish. Including practicing silence and getting a pedicure to scrape a summers worth of sandal scum from my feet.

But the house is just too quiet. They even took the dog. It's like going from 60 mph to 0 with no time to acclimate.

So, what I prescribe for myself is as follows:

Wine
Food
Ice Cream
Chocolate
Music

Not necessarily in that order.

10 comments:

Babaloo said...

I can't even imagine...fantasize? Sure. Imagine? No. I'm sure you'll make the most of it so you have something to share too, when they come back!

Bluepaintred said...

ack! what you need is me to come down there and help with the wine and chocolate. I thought pedicures were just getting your nails painted by other people. They deal with heel calluses too??? freaky I am such a non girl!

Gina said...

That was the cutest conversation you had with your little one!

And it sounds like you've got a good plan. I especially like this part, "Including practicing silence and getting a pedicure to scrape a summers worth of sandal scum from my feet."

me said...

awww...as much as we all say we would love to have no kids a few days, in reality we're suckers! we just miss them too much. try to enjoy your silence and get your to do list done. then you can relax and enjoy their return.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, you will miss them, but cherish this time for you. Being on-call for weeks and weeks and weeks is challenging and rewarding - and TIRING. Be selfish - eat, drink, sleep (or not), read, listen to YOUR music and enjoy the peace. Enjoy the fact that the only messes are the ones that you make. And, then take a deep breath and get ready for the next year!

(Where ARE they going???)

Pollyanna said...

I can't even imagine...fantasize? Sure. Imagine? No.... That goes DOUBLE for me!

I hope you have a GREAT 10 days. Get a pedicure for me too, won't you? And soak up the silence. I can NOT imagine how good I'd feel after 10 days alone!!!!! :) have fun!!! And I hope you don't get too lonely.

Meg said...

Enjoy yourself - I'd add wine back to the bottom of the list again...

Andreia Huff said...

I will drink some wine in honor of your 10 days of freedom. Enjoy!

Bonnie B said...

The was the best darned fantasy ever-- thou I know it is hard to leave the kiddies (especially when they are small). Your Margaret sounds adorable.

B.E.C.K. said...

I hear you. When mine is here, I want some time to myself. When he's with his dad, I want him around. *sigh*

I hope you have a great pedicure and make some other fun plans for yourself during this time. They'll be back before you know it. *hug*