Friday, August 11, 2006

I'm in Hot Water

Last month when I was in Camden I volunteered to keep tract of our family and friends predictions for the birth of my sister's baby. You know what I'm talking about. Everyone gets one guess as to the birth day, baby's weight and sex. I refused to take any money. I'm no fool. Ha!

The only piece of blank paper handy at the time as the current issue of The New Yorker magazine. The back cover was almost entirely blank. I used it to record their guesses. About 20 of them. Twenty family members. Most of who have returned to their far flung homes.

As I was packing to leave for Camden I looked for the magazine. I knew exactly where I had put it. EXACTLY.

BUT IT WAS NOT THERE!

I ripped the house apart. Top to bottom. Nada.

I am in such big trouble. Trouble with a capital T. As in, my sisters are going to freak out and my reputation as a scattered brained idiot is now confirmed forever. Damn, Damn and double damn.

8 comments:

meno said...

Nothing can make me feel like a fool faster than confirming my family's existing opinion of me.

Sorry.

Babaloo said...

Sounds like you have a lot of phone calls to make! This time...record the calls, write the predictions in permanent ink, transfer to an excel spreadsheet, back up on the hard drive and burn on to a cd... you know, just in case!

Bluepaintred said...

ohhhhh nooooooooo
get on the phone and start asking them all to "verify" their guesses... lol

Kelly Wolfe said...

I have an idea (Lucy tells Ethel), say that no one guessed right. And the winner will come to YOU by disputing that. He or she will say, "I guessed right." Anyone who remembered and followed up like that deserves to win.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Tell them your dog ate it. If you don't have a dog, blame one of the kids. LOL


NO!!! Wait! Tell them your handyman must have taken the magazine with him since you saw him using it to write measurements down. Yeah, that's it.

Unknown said...

ha. If your family says anything to you just say that you were the one who was picked because obviously you are the most responsible. Gently point out the accuser wasn't picked and anyone could Monday morning quarterback.

If that doesn't work, blame it on the kids. or cuss...

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Aw, I'm sure they'll understand and be perfectly respectful of your little misplacement. Either that or they'll act like every other family on the planet and never let you live it down.

No, it's the first one - definitely.

but Momma said...

Ha! I like Ethel's idea, and Denise's is good too! First send out an email asking who took the New Yorker magazine with them when they left.

So glad your back! Missed you!