Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Wild One

The sun is shining for the first time since Saturday here in Portland, Maine. I sat in my backyard this morning and turned my face to the sun like a flower.

It felt glorious.

For those of you how do not live in the Northeast and have not been following the news, we were hammered by a powerful Nor'easter. It started snowing on Sunday, changed to rain Sunday night and rained up until late last night. But it was the wind that made this storm something special. O.k. 7 inches of rain is also nothing to shake a stick at, but the wind was wild. My new windows made it deceptively quiet in the house. It was only when I poked my head out the back door that the full effect of the roaring, howling wind hit me. There were shutters and other pieces of people's house blowing down my street. Trees are down all over the city. We just lost a few branches, thank goodness. We had reported sustained gusts of close to 60 mph here in Portland. In Cape Elizabeth, on the ocean, the sustained gusts were over 80 mph.

At one point on Monday afternoon, after being without power for 8 hours and being close to losing my mind, I piled the kids into the car and we went for a drive. The wind had abated a bit and the rain had temporarily slowed to a thick drizzle. We headed out to Two Lights State Park. This point of land sticks right out into the Gulf of Maine. When we got out to the point it was breathtaking. As in, the wind literally took your breath away. And the ocean was amazing it its fury and beauty. Winslow Homer must have painted the sea during a Nor'easter. You could not face the ocean for more then a few moments because the freezing spume felt like needles on your face. The wind was so strong the I could lean backwards at a 10 degree angle and not fall down. We left fairly quickly because the little one was having a hard time staying on her feet. We were all drenched and cold when we got back into the car but it was so worth the trip.

Oh, and the concert Sunday night was wonderful.

What we did afterwards was even better.

4 comments:

Pollyanna said...

wow. and I say that about the storm, the drive, and the concert and *ahem* after the concert. My goodness, girl, you make me blush! :)

Jennifer said...

Glad you made it through the storm!
Except for the power issue, I love a good storm... as long as I can be snuggled inside!

I've read your blog probably for a good 6 months or more... sorry it took me so long to say hi.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

This post is out of balance Ashley. So much detail about your storm, and so little detail about Sunday night. ;-)

Andrea Frazer said...

I love that you turned your head like a sunflower toward the sun. Great image.