Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Great Lollipop Chicken Pox Caper

My youngest, at 5 years old, has never had the chicken pox. Not for lack of trying on her Mother's part. But today I may have struck it rich.

Location: Pick-up line at children's school
Time: 3 pm
Weather: Snowing (This is Maine after all. April has nothing to do with it.)

The little one is asleep in her car seat. Bonnie Raitt is singing Real Man to me and I am crooning right along (Nick of Time CD, Track 5).

A knock on my window startles me. After the window is down I greet a friend.



Hi Brooke. I missed you at the meeting this morning. (La Leche League).

I missed you guys too. Quinn has the chicken pox.

Oh! Reallllllyyyyyy...... Is he still contagious???

Yes. Why?

I need to infect Margaret. I need a lollipop. Damn, I don't have a lolly.

I have one in my car.

Great. Would you? Could you please stick it in Quinn's mouth, rub it around and then give it to me?

Sure. (She runs to her car through the snow. And back again.)

Here you go. He didn't even wake up.

Great! Thank you. Margaret? Margaret? Wake up, honey. (Vigourously shaking daughter's leg) Mommy has a lollipop for you.



The little one wakes, smiles and inserts lolly.

Moms high five each other.



Pray that it takes.

7 comments:

maura said...

I bet it will.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Laura has a group of friends from all over the US and Canada. Let's say one of Laura's friend's son developed a certain illness. Maybe, must maybe, she SENT IN THE MAIL lollipops and slept-in shirts all over the US and Canada. And all over the US and Canada, children were catching said illness.

Laura is a bit too freaked out by the whole mail thing to participate... but she would jump at the chance to find it locally...

Pollyanna said...

wow. That's devotion for ya, for sure. :)

Andrea Frazer said...

Intentional chicken pocks? That'll have him think twice before rubbing your toothbrush with hotsauce.

Anonymous said...

You did this in hopes that she would be sick over Easter???? Exactly how long is the incubation period? And do you expect to need sleep after Easter??????

Just a thought . . . .

LarryLilly said...

Get them to french kiss if you have to. I was a kid during the days of polio scare, where my next door friend Jimmy Shelton came down with it, and his parents turned the downstairs dining room into His room, and they had an iron lung moved into his house, where the kids all ran past his house as he looked outside from that thing with the mirror that he could see what little world there was. I didnt come down with chicken pox UNTIL my kids got it. Its not a fun illness for an adult. It hurt like hell, you looked like you had the black plaque or some third world illness, Ebola or berri berri.

Get them to get it now.

Anonymous said...

My husband was like Larrylilly - caught it at 30 - at a kindergarten "water day"... while I was pregnant with the little guy. He was a SIGHT I'll tell ya - covered head to toe, on his palms, everywhere - poor guy. He had a 103 temp for several days also. Did I mention I was pregnant?? Yeah - in my last week. When I had the kid, the hubby looked like he had the plague, and we almost got kicked out of the hospital (they let him stay, sequestered in my room, when I said, "If he goes, I go."

And then we all came home and he gave it to the two eldest (4 and 6 at the time). My youngest was vaccinated, because the immunization nazis wouldn't let him start school without it. Boo.

Angela said...

So, did this work? I looked for a follow-up post. We tried this 10 days ago.