No, this is not about what I am going to wear to the concert tonight.
(What the hell am I going to wear?)
This is about my little visit to our local ER last night. Fun, fun, fun!
As the dinner was cooking and I was on the phone with a friend from church my green eyed girl ran into the house....screaming.
"Mom, I fell off of Joshua's Scooter. Mom.....MY KNEE!"
I signed off with the friends, turned off the burners and followed her upstairs. At first glance it looked like just a badly scrapped knee. I cleaned it with soap and water and that is when my daughter started yelling that one of the gashes as GAPING!
Upon further inspection I was able to see that she did have a very deep cut that was indeed gaping. Yuck! I slapped a damp face clothe on it and headed for the phone. This is not the first medical emergency I faced as the mother of four children, nor will it be the last. What I have learned is not to jump the gun and rush into the ER unless there is very good cause.
After 10 minutes on the phone with the local nurse help line (Thank You Elizabeth) I was yelling at the kids to get into the car. The little one was in her nightgown. My son had been outside for most of the day and looked as if he had been rolled in mud and then baked. My big teenage helper child was away at a sleepover. I had 5 minutes to get the wounded child and entourage to my local Primary Care center before they closed. Move IT People!
We ran into the building 2 minutes before they locked the doors.
My girl required 5 stitches as well as the road gravel picked out of the wound. Double Yuck!
She was so brave. I had exactly 3 minutes to review with her some basic meditation techniques before the Doc started poking the Novocaine needle into her knee. She put her head back, held my hand and stayed very, very calm. The Doc and I were very impressed.
Eleanor's comment about the whole incident:
I should have never worn a skirt when riding the scooter.
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Proper Attire
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I don't think I'll ever ride a scooter in a skirt again! I'm O.K. though!
Love
Eleanor
Brave indeed! I need those meditation techniques! I took John to the Dr. the other day and he had to have blood work done. He worked himself up until he was crying and I thought he was gonna pass out!
I think I'll just stick to not riding scooters. Skirt or not.
wow. BB had a gash onhis chin a week or so ago, we decided against stitches. poor poor girl and poor poor momma!
how is it healing?
yes, I think that is a good lesson for us all, no riding scooters in skirts. good to know, good to know.
Post a Comment