When your kids are so loud for so long that you consider gagging them?
Is it a bad thing....
When they fight with each other all afternoon and get on your nerves to such a degree that you want to disown each and every one of them?
Is it a bad thing....
When the teenage attitude and disrespect is so thick and cutting that a part of your mind wants to slap the next child who rolls her eyes, clicks her tongue or mutters "Yes, Your Highness" under her breath?
Is it a bad thing...
That when you discover that your son has used all of the heavy cream meant for the dinner recipe you had planned on a failed, unauthorized bowl of whipped cream and that you did not buy the diced tomatoes for the other recipe, that you finally throw a bag of frozen ravioli in a pot and feed it to the children for dinner....without any veggies?
Is it a Bad thing....
When your children are able to punch all of your buttons in sequence and the sequence feels like the numbers to your own personal nuclear launch code?
Is it a bad thing....
When your 5 year old chooses to throw a balls to the wall temper tantrum right before bedtime and you know in your bones that you can not deal, on any rational level, with yet another of her screamers that day?
Is it a bad thing....
When you go into the bathroom, lock the door, run a hot bath and then proceed to sit and soak while you read, as calmly as possible considering there is a screaming child on the other side of the door who is trying to kick it down with her feet, the current issue of The New Yorker?
Nope. Not a bad thing.
Just don't sign me up for a Mother of the Year award any time soon.
Saturday, May 19, 2007
Is It a Bad Thing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
For whatever reason when I read your first paragraph I thought it said "drown each and every one of them." How ironic that your last paragraph ends in the bathtub. Hmmm.
p.s. - I fixed the video on my last post. Now my lips are indeed IN sync! :-)
nope, not a bad thing, its a typical mom thing!
Nope, not a bad thing. it's kid's jobs to make us utterly incredibly insane. I swear to God the only thing my kids will work together on is their collective goal of making me totally crazy. Some days I think they want to make me lose my mind so they can stand back and say proudly, "Yep, that's our Mom. See how she's muttering to herself and twirling her hair? Yes, we did that. TOGETHER"!
Hang in there. Call up your luvva for a date, that will make you feel better.
Contrary to popular myth, great sex does not cure all ills.
I am right there with you. I was just thinking that I need to come up with a game plan for whining, nudging, sharing and bitching. But so far the only thing I can come up with is Vodka. Perhaps you and I can share the Motherhood of the Year award? Good talking to you earlier today. I really like you. I do I do I do. You make me smile. Now go live joyously.
Good grief. From the perspective of someone who's been there and done that? My resounding answer to all the questions except the one where the mother gets to have a hot bath...is YES!! It IS IS IS a bad thing ... and I don't mean that in a critical way towards you AT ALL because my kids were just like your write-up describes! But the thing is, now that I have the 20/20 eyesight I didn't and couldn't have in the middle of all THAT...is that yes, it is not necessary for children to be that unhappy, destructive, mis-aligned, etc. etc. The only problem is that while I lived through it and realize now how awful and really negative and not good it all was -- I have not a CLUE how I could have changed it. I had that life...and maybe that's what you have, too. So just soak in the tub whenever possible (and I don't think drowning the children was a very bright suggestion, considering how a mother actually did that in real-life and that was hideous) and just be calm and patient and loving and try to direct their energies to positive stuff. When all that fails? Make cupcakes, take a hot bath and remember that eventually they grow and leave. And then you can get on other people's blogs and count your blessings that you are NOT in their shoes anymore!!! Sally D.
Dear Sally D.,
My kids are happy, creative and aligned well. They were just being kids that day, but with an extra dash of volume and attitude. All 4 of them at the some time...which does not usually happen.
Thank you for the comment.
Is it a bad thing when your kids fight so much that you wish they would just kill one another and get it over with? No. But try to imagine a few years later when they are best friends. (Oh, the bad part is you might be the common enemy. . . you get over it.)
Post a Comment