My father is an alcoholic.
His drinking sucked much of the color from my childhood.
13 years ago he called me and asked if I could help him. It was March of 1995 and my second child was 6 months old. My Dad was near death. He was consuming vast amounts of vodka, had lost significant weight and could not keep down any solid food. He was gray; the shade of old meat. I drove to Camden, picked him up and drove him back to Portland where he signed himself into a residential treatment facility. I went through the program with him. He lived with me for a month while he did his out patient treatment.
At that time I told him that if he ever started drinking again that I would not rescue him. I would cut all ties.
There is strong evidence to suggest that he is drinking again.
And I am so very, very sad.
Thursday, May 17, 2007
Hard Choices
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
That sucks. Do you want to talk? It's not too late here if you want to call.
ohh momma, I know your pain. My mom is an alcoholic as well, same poison. We forced her into rehab a year and a half ago, and everything was going well. Until the last month or so, and as you mentioned, her telltale signs are there again. The choice is so hard, turning your back seems cruel, but the fact that they don't care about themselves is also maddening. hugs to you...I know it sucks.
Are you saying he was sober for 13 years but is slipping now? I know it's tough to justify, but I'm guessing he needs you again.
HM, I am a different person then I was 13 years ago. I know that I can not turn my back but I must also be very careful to protect myself.
I agree OTM, you need to protect yourself. You are a mother to four wonderful kids, but four is really enough for you.
My parents have over 20 years sobriety. I don't know what I would do if they started drinking again.
It is good to love your dad and let him know it, but he also needs to know that it is his battle, not yours. Hugs.
Hugs to you. I have no idea what else to say. What a horrible horrible spot to be in. I can relate somewhat with my crazydruggie sister. It's so hard to love an addict and know the difference between you're enabling and when you're being supportive. Hang in there and e me if you want to talk!!!!
I'm so, so sorry. ((hug))
Post a Comment