Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Car Lust


As I was talking to my friend on the phone last night my ex pulled into the driveway. In his new car. And not just any car. NOOOOOoooo! A silver 2004 Porsche Boxster! In my humble driveway. I quickly signed off with the friend.

The kids were jumping up and down as I ran my hands along her fine lines. They wanted rides around the block so I asked for the key. Which he handed over with a grin. First one child and then another strapped themselves in and off we went. I will admit to going a bit further afield then "around the block".

Oh, what a car! The black leather under my backside. The acceleration! The gearing ratio is to die for. And down shifting was a dream. The wind in my hair. I giggled, giggled madly, the entire time. Driving should not be that much fun. I am in lust. With a car.

An explanation is in order. You see, I am not a car gal. Never have been. If my car gets me from Point A to Point B with a minimum of fuss and maximum reliability then I am a happy woman. I drive a 2003 Ford Windstar that we bought used. It works. It's not flashy or fast, but it works. Even talking about cars is a bore. Being forced to read Car and Driver or Auto Week would be a form of torture. Add to that the fact that I am the quintessential non-material girl. It's not things that rock my world but the people in my life.

But I now have lust in my heart for a car. And when I jokingly asked the ex if I could borrow it on the weekends that he has our kids and he said "Yes" I jumped up and down myself. If he is going to be financially irresponsible I might as well relax and reap the benefits. Right?

One final note. My 12 year old remarked that I looked good in the car because my hair matched it's color. Sweet.

9 comments:

Mom Thumb said...

As a total car freak (who drives a mini-van), if my ex pulled into my driveway in that, I might have to accidentally back over him.

me said...

lol...I tease my husband about his g/f, his 03 Dodge Viper. I tsk tsk'd, what a waste of money, who is he trying to impress, blah blah blah. But I LOVE driving that bad boy (yes it's a boy when I drive it). Wanna race?

Ashley Lasbury said...

Me: Just name the time and the place!

Andrea Frazer said...

I'll kick both both Me's ass and OneTallMomma's in my smelling like day old fries SUV environmental damaging hunk of metal. In the meantime, I'll hit mom thumb's ex for her. Who wants to dare me?

but Momma said...

That is TOTALLY showing off, but if he's gonna let you borrow it, he gets a pass!

Pollyanna said...

WOW! I can't wait to hear stories about you and your luvva driving that car for the weekend. the stories you will be able to tell us! :)

I laughed at the remark about your hair matching the car, that's sooo something a kid would say. (hahhahha)

Anonymous said...

Good god. That ex better be laying out some truly decent child-support before he affords that new car. Just think. You can drive the thing without sleeping with him! Whatta deal. Cece

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

You're killing me here. I have to climb into a 10 year-old Mercury Village-idiot every day and pretend that it doesn't bother me. I so need a midlife crisis!

Maine Mama said...

Thats awesome! Patrick really wants a Porsche Carrera (sp?) and I want a hot pink Porsche conertble when we hit 60. We've already decided. Now to save!!