Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I write. She's a Writer.

I received these lovely words from my 14 year old daughter on Mother's Day.

It's tradition, on days like these, to buy pretty things and put them in a box. You wanted a card, a poem and something else that I can't remember. Here's the card and something else approaching a poem, and a gift (flowers). I didn't have any pretty things to put in a box, but here are some anyway:

a piece of broken green glass, lying on the sidewalk like a forgotten emerald; rows and rows of beads, crystals and pearls and cat's eye, sparkling and glowing and shimmering; the feeling of sunlight on your eyelids, which somehow feels better then anywhere else; the smell of lilacs, or fresh baked cookies; the feeling of satisfaction when something you cook turns out perfectly; the warm humidity of a summer evening, when the sky is still light and you can smell all the green things living; that feeling of safety when you're in your warm, lit house with the snow flurrying down outside; a dog I saw leap out of a pond, shake himself off and run to his master with a stick clenched in his mouth, radiating satisfaction and joy; brownies; this time of year when the streets are chartreuse tunnels; the shock of diving into the lake and the blessed, crisp cold; a bluebell.

Some of these are already yours, and some I'm trying to give to you. I love you so much Mom. You were the one who taught me to read, to cook, to think before I freaked out, to make a perfect steak sauce. You taught me maturity, manners, how to and how not to put on make-up, and so many other things, like how to yell, how to give way when I should, responsibility and love.

You've supported me and loved me forever; backwards and forwards.

This is for you, Mom. Thank you so much for the 14 years you've loved me and been there for me, whether or not I thought I needed it. I love you so much. Thank you. Love, Samantha.

She's 14 years old.

And I have loved her forever. Backwards and forwards.

6 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Wow, 14 going on 40! You're absolutely right... she IS a writer, and a talented one at that.

Mom Thumb said...

Wow. What an awesome job you have done raising her. And what a talent she has for the written word!

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP, that was gorgeous! Please tell me she wants to be a writer when she grows up. I'll buy every book she ever writes...

Ashley Lasbury said...

Meg, she loves words. To read them and to write them. But she also loves chemistry, theater, art and jewelry design. So who knows what path she will walk. It will certainly be fun to watch her journey.

Bluepaintred said...

and did you cry trying to type that out? I got teary myself, just reading it

good going mom

Pollyanna said...

wow. amazing. That's is just awesome.

I wonder if my boys will ever get something that deep? I can't imagine every teaching them something as profound as what your daughter expressed to you in her card....you rock.