Friday, December 01, 2006

What was I Thinking?

Every other weekend my ex takes the kids. After two straight weeks of being a solo parent I need the break. It is my time. To renew and recharge. To catch my breath, catch up on my sleep, catch up on my laundry. My time. And I literally count the days. Don't get me wrong, I love my children. Very, very much. But single parenting can be labor intensive and emotionally draining.

Flash back to 2 weeks ago: "Mom, could I have a few friends sleep over?" This from my socially challenged 14 year old daughter who has recently discovered that, yes, she does in fact have something in common with a few of her peers. "Ummm, when did you want to have them over?"

"Mom, I want it to be just me and my friends (no siblings). Could we do it in two weeks when they are with Dad? Please???? (puppy dog eyes)"

"O.K. I guess." Note my lukewarm response.

Fast forward to the present. There are currently six 14 year old girls in my house. The seventh is due to arrive soon. I must be getting old. I had forgotten how a bunch of girls can make more noise the a herd of toddlers...times 10. They suck the very air from the house. Peace and quiet...not a prayer. Drinking wine...you betcha.

I just called in their dinner order. How much take out Thai food can 7 teenage girls eat. Apparently, a whole lot. One the plus side, I did get to chose the movie. We are watching Back to the Future. I hope it hasn't lost it's charm in the 20+ years since it was made.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it. Oh, and more wine.

11 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

sending wine... by the caseful

Musings of a Housewife said...

HOlding up my glass of wine. CHeers! UGH!

Pollyanna said...

UGH! Indeed. I am sending you TEQUILLA. There is nothing more noisy or messy than a gaggle of 14-year-old girls, that I know for sure. Your daughter should be eternally grateful to you for letting her having a party with you as the host. What did they think of Back to the Future? that is a GREAT movie. I hope they liked it.

Anonymous said...

Holy mother of God. You need a case, dear. A case...

meno said...

Oh, the screaming, the giggling, the non-stop chatter.
Courage, and wine to you.

Anonymous said...

Did you survive? Did your house (and your daughter) survive, too? By now, all should be back to normal (if anything in December is ever normal!).

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Yikes!

Meg said...

Wow, you're a brave woman.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you are a brave, brave woman, but feel proud that your daughter wants to bring her friends home to you. Many girls her age are ashamed of their parents. You are obviously doing a great job.

Bonnie B said...

I raise my glass to you-- all those girls and all that noise-- ouch

Andrea Frazer said...

I think you need to get back at your husband by keeping three of your kids home next time, then sending your daughter and her six friends to him.