Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mud, Glorius Mud!

It snowed here in Maine for the first time on Friday. My children were overjoyed. Snowballs were made, snow angles created and cross country skis strapped on. All with only 3 inches of the white stuff.

Today was a bright, beautiful, sun filled day. A snow melter of a day. A mud maker of a day.

My son has an affinity for mud. As do must boys of his age. At pick up this afternoon he was not waiting on the bench for me. I had to fetch him from the office. He was busted for snowball hurling and rock throwing. The glum child that I sprang from the school office was liberally covered in thick brown mud. He was also unhappy. Could have been because I tried to lead him to the car by his right earlobe? Just for a few steps. Just to get my point across.

I briefly considered asking him to run next to the car rather then having him sit IN my car. Then I rejected the ski rack option. Stripping him butt naked in the parking lot was briefly considered as well. In the end I let him enter the car. His boots were covered, his jeans were covered. He was covered in mud. At this point I was having a hard time keeping on my stern mother face. He looked so forlorn that it was hard not to smile.

He and I had a little chat on the way home. He took responsibility for his actions after a valiant attempt to talk his way out of the situation. He picked up an extra chore for disobeying a teacher and breaking the school rules. (Cleaning the dining room table. No biggie.) He also must write the teacher a note of apology. That one hurt. Writing is a challenge for him. Hopefully he will remember it the next time he loses control. Think so? Me neither.

7 comments:

meno said...

It's so hard to behave when you are a high-spirited boy.
Also, i think you need to start carrying a camera with you at all times.

Pollyanna said...

Yes, I think you should be a getting a digital camera in your stocking this year, we need all your adventures documented in photo form for us to enjoy! :)

And, wouldn't it be nice if kids could remember the consquences before they behave like wild monkeys? I know it'll never happen, but I have my dreams....

Bluepaintred said...

dont mind my pouting about no picture of this. nope, ignore my tears. im not even a little upset about it


*sob* *crushed* *ded*

Ashley Lasbury said...

Trust me when I say that getting a picture of mud boy was the farthest thing from my mind. But next time, and there will be a next time, I will do my best.

Anonymous said...

Girlie had an apology writing school incident this week too. Love these kids.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Don't know if you read her or not but a friend of mine from Aussie land is having trouble with breastfeeding her new baby and I thought of you. She's not asking for advice but I thought I'd intervene anyway since I'm nosey that way. Anyway, let me or her know if you can recommend anything. Thanks! Her place is http://mooseletmusings.blogspot.com/index.html

Babaloo said...

Mud in the car? I hope you got a good car wash out of the little rascal. His teacher would probably feel sorry for him if he wrote about that!