Friday, December 22, 2006

The Nutcracker

My Mud Boy, a.k.a Spider Boy, a.k.a. Knife Boy is also my Dancing Boy. He has been taking ballet lessons since he was 4 years old, and unlike his older sisters, did not quite when the going got tough. He loves it. I have to give kudos to his teachers, he is a handful to teach. But they are desperate for boys and thus treat him like a little lord.

For the past 3 years he has been invited to audition for the Nutcracker Ballet. We both felt that he was too young when he was 6 and then again when he was 7. This year we caved and let him try out for a spot. Much to our surprise and his pleasure, he was offered a role. And not just as a mouse or a solider. No, my boy is a Party Boy. He is one of the party quests in the first Act.

Last Sunday we went to see him perform at the Bates College Theater. Twelve of us. Sisters, parents, grandparents, cousins, Aunts and Uncles. I was astounded. He was wonderful. He stayed in character and danced beautifully. I wanted to leap up and announce to the 300 people in the auditorium "That child sprang from my loins. I'm his Momma." I, of course, restrained myself. As proud as I was of him I also realized that this was his doing. His journey. His passion and dedication. Good for him.

Tonight he dances on the big stage in Portland with a full orchestra in front 900 people. My Dancing Boy.




(I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. I was shut down by a mean usher. Apparently "No Flash Photography" meant no photos at all.)

10 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Holy cow - I proud of him for you! His being a dancer explains a lot. Especially the whole door-frame climbing thing. Now I know why he's so agile and flexible.

Congratulations to him on his big performance. Please tell us how it went in Portland.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you snuck a few - I think they are really good! (It's so silly not to let you take non-flash photos! Boo hiss!!)

Congrats to the little man!

Anonymous said...

You must be sooooo proud! We went to a production of the Nutcracker the other night. I just love that show and I'm delighted to hear that your son got to perform.

Andrea Frazer said...

Ah ha ha! Excellent! Though I was hoping for shots of him in tights - excellent blackmail later. Seriously, that rocks. I'll be crying like a baby when Stink first performs - even if it's as a tree or a rock or something. He'll be the cutest little natury batury toddlery every! (Yes, I get like that. Shoot me.)

maura said...

Oh Ashley that is making me weepy. It is so wonderful to see him succeed at this.

Bluepaintred said...

im so pleased for you. he must have worked so so so hard for this!

imagine performing infront of almost 1000 people is he nervous? are you?

this is jsut wonderful!

Wes said...

Congratulations to your son! What a great gift, and to be able to perform in front of so many people without being overawed is sensational!

Unknown said...

Good job to the both of you. That usher had not right....

I used your tip and asked for a super rad pepper mill for Christmas (the same one as you to be honest). i haven't tried it out yet but can't wait.

llc

Princess in Galoshes said...

Oh! Yay! More talented boys in ballet! They need 'em. Soooo happy to hear he stuck with it. Congrats, I hope all goes (went?) well in Portland!

but Momma said...

It gives me cold chills! I've only had the good fortune to see it done once, it is SO wonderful!

What an accomplishment! Congrats Mud Boy! :)