Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Onetallmomma has a Date

Before I dish the dirt let me update you on Christmas. It was joyful. The two, count 'em two, church services on Sunday were a bit much. I ushered at both services (more later). During the first I left all 4 of the kids in a front pew...by themselves. What in the name of all that is holy was I thinking? The 14 year old and the 8 year old almost came to blows. At the end of the sermon my son was reported to have said, in a very loud voice, "Thank God, he is finally done." I was in the back of the church and was blissfully oblivious. The evening service was more fun. It was our traditional candlelight service and our whole family ushered. How do you spell S-T-R-E-S-S? My 4 year old and 8 year old holding lit candles. Yippee! On the up side, both of my older girls did readings and did their Momma proud. Then home for the traditional X-mas Eve picnic. Many years ago I called a halt to my having to cook elaborate meals on Christmas eve. Instead, we spread a blanket in front of the fire and eat foods that do not need to be cooked. Fresh berries, smoked salmon with borsin, shrimp and cocktail sauce, veggies and dip, etc. Easy. I love easy. Later in the evening, after the kids had been tucked into bed and the ex had left me with 4 huge bags of presents he had wrapped but not put tags on, my sister called. She had been nipping at the Baily's and I had been sipping champagne. I answered the phone "Ho, Ho, Ho!" She responded, "I ain't your Ho!". We laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee my pants. I guess you had to be there. And God bless my sister. Christmas morning was wonderful, even with the ex here. I woke up at quarter to 6am. There is still a big piece of me that is the kid that would wake up at 4am on Christmas morning and have to be sent back to bed until the sun had risen. I made a fire, started breakfast, plugged in the tree. My darling Eleanor joined me at 6:30 and we hung together in front of the fire until 7:30 when the ex arrived. Yes, three of my 4 children slept until 7:30. Amazing. Then the true fun began. I love Christmas morning even more now then when I was a child. On a limited budget it is important that I spent my money wisely. Each gift for my children was chosen with care. Often a random remark made months earlier would prompt me to purchase a gift and then squirrel it away. So, there was not much for each child but each child was thrilled never the less. I loved the fact that my eldest daughter really believed me when I told her that Borders had sold out of the book she desired more then anything else on earth. The scream of pure joy when she opened that gift warmed my heart. It took my son a full hour to get to his second gift. He was over the moon with the first. A fire ball yo-yo. My green eyed girl got the medieval silver gown she was sure her mother had forgotten about back in October. Ha! And my baby is still wearing the pink spangled dress up dress....3 days later. There was nothing in my stocking. I got one book, one hideous bathrobe from the ex and a lovely scarf. But do you know what? I don't care. The only gift I wanted or needed was the joy and happiness on my children's faces. Damn, I've run out of words again. You'll have to tune in soon to find out about my hot date.....(And calling me a Bitch is NOT nice.)

6 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

damn you to hell and back DISH IT GIRL


im so glad you had a merry christmas. please ignore the meme i just tagged you with and tell us about the date!!!!!

Pollyanna said...

Can't wait to hear about your date. And you are one good Mama! :) I love the stories about your kids with the presents...

thanks for your comment on my blog. I thought I had done something to offend you, I couldn't figure out where in the world you had gone! :) And blog addiction, smaddiction, no such thing my dearie.

Andrea Frazer said...

Should we change the onetallmomma to one hot mama? Like that Trace Adkins country song - "your one hot mama, let's turn it on let's tune it up and turn this room into a sauna..." Yes, I really do listen to country music. If the man weren't so hot I'd be mortified that I know those words. But he is 6 foot 6 - good lord.

Andrea Frazer said...

And it's "you're one hot mama" not your. I listen to country but I can spell. Sometimes.

Ashley said...

I love the looks on their faces when they open presents! It's the reason I woke up at 5:30 and then waited 2 hours for those nerds to wake up!! Merry Christmas!

meno said...

I would not have pegged you for a tease....