My kids just left with their Dad....Yippee!!!!!!! I am rockin' out with some Michele Shocked, a glass of vino and my best friend, the dog. Life is sweet.
Today I took the kids to the Portland Museum of Art in a fit of cultural exuberance. Plus I had 3 free passes burning a hole in my wallet. My son complained bitterly the entire way there. "Mom, I don't want to go the stupid old museum. Can't we go to the Children's Museum....PLEASE!" I almost bagged the whole adventure in the driveway. But no, I was a woman on a mission. The new exhibit on Children in the 1900's was reported to be wonderful. And I had blissfully forgotten my last experience at the museum....two years ago. It had taken me that long to forget why I swore never, ever to take my children into a museum again. Silly me.
As soon as we walked into the lobby I swear that the security guards were on their radios. "Large Family Alert. Many small children. Watch out for the 4 year old in the pink spangle dress. She looks impetuous. The boy is leaping in the foyer....Alert...Alert."
My carefully delivered pep talk in the lobby was listened to with half of their 8 ears. Momma, "Listen UP! No touching, no screaming, no leaping, no running, stay together, stay with your buddy at all times...and do not touch. Understand???" Ya, right.
We certainly made the security detail earn their pay. They were all men with little ear pieces on and I know that they alerted each other as we passed, nay, leaped, from room to room. We were only admonished 4 times. Twice for small fingers too close to paintings, once for small boy hanging on window ledge and once for small boy leaning on display table. All in all, not to bad.
In all honesty, we managed to have a great time. I was an Art History Major in college and some of my children were actually interested in what their Momma had to say. No kidding. I did heave a sigh of relief as we left the building 2 hours later. So did the Security guys. And it will not be two years before I take them back.
Friday, December 29, 2006
Security Alert
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Perhaps you need to take your sparkle princess and the nutcracker boy to a Degas exhibit featuring all the ballerinas. Did you know that Degas was kind of a perv who painted women while peeking through bathroom peepholes? You probably knew that, being an art history major and all.
I love museums. Taking your kids there now may foster that love in them too. Good job Tall Momma.
On a sort of related note... take them to see Night at the Museum I just took my kids and it was pretty cute.
Happy New Year Ashley!
I majored in arts in college and loved art history. Could never foster much interest for it in my children when they were younger. My daughter takes an interest in it now, and shares my affinity for writing and photography. There is hope! You are a brave woman, enjoy your free time and rock on!
back from a blogging hiatus...sooo forget the museum. how was the date? good to see you in good spirits
A friend who runs a museum swears that giving the kids cameras will help them enjoy the museum because it gives them a different way of "seeing" and a means to "edit" all they see, by picking favorites to take pictures of.
I have taken them to the museum on free Sundays since they were very small and I always make up a scavenger hunt list at home -- drawn pictures for before they could read. Simple things -- a dog, a triangle, a musical instrument, a lady with a hat. That works well.
And The Curmudgeon, for whom art is his profession and his two kids are the same ages as mine, swears that you cannot stay more than 45 minutes. "Leave them wanting more" rather than boring them to tears. It has always worked for him.
Post a Comment