Monday, October 30, 2006

Winds of Change

The wind has been howling here in Maine since Saturday morning. Saturday was a wild day. The kind of day that prompts you to get the oil lanterns from the basement and to replace flashlight batteries...just in case. The rain has stopped but the wind is still throwing leaves and campaign signs around like confetti. The kind of wind that destroys the most perfectly coiffed hair in mere moments.

This wind seems to have also blown the seed of an idea into my brain. It was actually my daughter Samantha who prompted me to tell the stories. She and I went out to dinner on Friday night to celebrate her birthday. A fancy restaurant. White linen table clothes, clairvoyant waiters, heavenly food. And during the meal I told her about a trip I took to England in 1980 with my grandmother. Later that night I found myself rummaging through my file drawers looking for my written account of that journey. And during my travels through those packed file drawers I stumbled upon the file folder of stories that my grandmother had written about her early life.

Since then I have immersed myself in her stories and remembered anew what a fine writer and amazing woman she was. She loved history and of all of her 13 grandchildren, I was the only one who caught the bug. My major in college was U.S. History. To this day I read history for pleasure.

Granny started to write her memoirs about 10 years before she passed. There are only a dozen stories in all but they are wonderful. And I have decided to transcribe, edit and compile them for the rest of my family.

It is strange but the thought of this project has lightened my mood. Part of my malaise of late has been a feeling of restlessness. Of being stuck. Well, this little project is just what I need to get "unstuck".

And thank you all again for your love and support. Blue, have no fear, I did not stop the meds cold turkey. And I am learning to live with the sadness.

8 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

So then you're going to create a spin-off blog and share these wonderful stories?

Andrea Frazer said...

I second Harmonica Man's idea about sharing the stories. I am so happy you are getting a lightness of spirit. Hope I'm not too hard on you. I don't even know you. But I like you. I just worry about you going off the meds and boom - you're freaking out. But it's your choice - you know that of course... I'm just some ballsy mama from L.A. (A ballsy mama who cares!) Beautifully written post, by the way. You caught the bug and caught it good!

Kelly Wolfe said...

That is awesome that you have been uplifted by a new project. It sounds very worthwhile and immersing. Excellent.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I also have diaries, journals, letters from deceased relatives. Reading them is very grounding, ties you to the past. My hubby's grandma walked from Holland, Minnesota to Yellowstone in 1924. I may even turn that journal into a children's book, it's amazing!

Anonymous said...

i wowuld love to hear those stories! I am so happy you are feeling..better?

Bluepaintred said...

dammit.NOT annoymous im blue! soem blogs are making me not be me, and I think thats mean!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Ashley...
Like the other commenters here, I'd love to read the stories too...

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic project! I'm so jealous that you have these - it was wonderful for her to leave you such a treasure.