Each fall for the last 9 years my mother, sisters and I have gone away for a weekend together. Some years we are missing one or more sisters. This year my sister Amelia could not make it. This has become an important tradition in my family. The time together without our children (exceptions given to nursing babies) and male family members is wonderful. Well, my mom is with her children.
We tell stories, play games, eat good food and laugh until we cry. We drink too much wine, fight over words in Scrabble, take naps and sit in silence. We take walks, go shopping and catch up.
We have been to many places. Each brings back its own memories, smells and stories. One year we went to my ex-hubbies family camp. The camp is located on an small island on a lake in Maine. It was late October. There was no heat, running water or at one point, electricity. It snowed that weekend. I can remember all of us in many layers of clothes with our chairs pulled as close to the fireplace as possible. The composting potty was the pits.
When we planned this weekend several weeks ago I was blue but feeling well. For the first time we have not gone away. Finances are tight for all of us so we are at my house. Plenty of beds, indoor plumping and heat work for us.
As this weekend approached and my headaches increased in there severity I considered canceling. Came close to calling the whole thing off. I didn't want to talk or smile or laugh. I wanted to wallow in my misery. But I didn't.
They are all here now. My Mom is cooking dinner, Rogan Josh, a northern Indian curry. My youngest sister just finished making cookies. Her baby is a joy. My 3rd sister arrived with 6 new wines glasses. She knew that I would only have two that were unbroken. We have truffles and a fine port for desert. And a wee bit of Scrabble in the offing. (I never win!)
This is just what I needed. To be surrounded by the deep love and support of my "girls" is a blessing. My headache remains but my spirit is healed.
Saturday, October 14, 2006
Mother Daughter Weekend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
You make me ache for sisters, of which i have none. Lucky you.
family is a cure all most of the time. im so happy you have such a loving relationship with your sisters and mother. id give the world for that
you will also e happy to not that on my new wireless notebook, i downloaded firefox as my browser, cus you said it rocks, (and it does)
That sounds so fun and healing and FUN. Glad you enjoyed.
Lisa
I so get that feeling. Good for you!
Post a Comment