For the past 11 years I have helped new nursing mothers in my community as a La Leche League Leader. Helping mothers get over the rough patches, as I was helped, brings me a great deal of satisfaction. In addition to telephone help I am also responsible for leading a monthly meeting.
For 3 hours this morning I helped mothers and it felt great. Maybe it is because misery loves company. The mother with the two year old who was so tired so couldn't see straight was looking for information about how to get he son to stop nursing all night long. The new mother of a 6 week with colic. These woman were so overwhelmed and tired that my heart went out to them.
The part that did my spirit good was being able to help. For the first time in a long time I felt bright, animated and caring. After not having cared about much for so long.
Could it possibly be that my little purple happy pill is starting to work? I started to take them a week ago and today I increased the dose per the directions. (My Doctor sent me to our local hospital's outpatient pharmacy where I was able to buy the medication for 1/2 full price.)
Of course, the brightness hasn't lasted, but at least I have some hope that there will be bright moments. The kids started fighting with each other the moment they got into the car after school this afternoon. And have not stopped. PBS has been turned on. Some peace before I start to cook dinner.
And they will all be in bed in two and 1/2 hours. Counting down....
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Better Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I seem to remember an overwhelming difference a week after I started antidepressants. So much so, that I quit therapy soon after that.
What you do is so incredably important. I am going tomorrow with another mom to walk and support a friend who is having trouble breastfeeding her 4 week old. He hasn't been gaining weight so she is pumping after every feeding to supplement with breastmilk. I did the same thing to get my milk up. The friend I am bringing's baby didn't gain weight because she is just a small baby.
Moms need to help other moms.
listen do you have a good friend in the area to go for coffee with once a week? I wait till my boys are in bed and do Wednesday Coffee with BFF Kiss. It literally saves my sanity. I get to wednesday and am just overwhelmed with all the stress fromt eh week. it really helps to get out for those two hours and just be me, not a mom! Is your oldest old enough to look after the younger ones while you get out for a few hours?
Thank for the tip Blue. My eldest is NOT ready to be left with the younger ones in the evening as they do not respect her authority. I do leave her in charge during the day on occasion for short periods of time and never go very far. It's tough not having another parent around and limited income.
I am glad things are looking up. It's great to take joy in helping others and in the simple things like PBS kids and quietness. Ahhhhh.
Lisa
WELL, continue taking your little purple pills, I think it's gonna help you a lot. And continue reaching out and helping others. Whenever you can turn some energy outside of yourself it's always good for the soul. Does that make sense? If I am feeling BLECH and then do something that makes me feel useful and productive I always end up feeling better even if I have to beat myself to get out my own front door.
Keep talking to the internet we are hear to listen! Could you invite a girfriend over for coffee or a glass of wine once the kids are in a bed just for a chat and a decompress session???
AND, I understand about the fighting kids thing. that about drives me over the edge every single day and I only have 2 and I know Chad will be home at some point in the evening to help me. SOOO I feel your pain. I'm sorry. Have you considered telling the kids that you are feeling really tired and cranky and their fighting makes you feel crazy(er)???? Personally I think it's a good idea sometimes to let our kids know that we are indeed human and not made of steel. Sometimes they forget that small fact due to their erronous idea that the only reason for our existence is to be there for THEM. *sigh*
Also, are you a writer? I mean obviously you are, but what I was gonna say is if you like to write you could try that when you are feeling so overwhelmed. that can REALLy help me. something about putting my feelings onto paper makes me feel validated for some odd reason.
I hope you feel better real soon onetallmama! E mail me anytime you need to chat...
Little purple pills at 1/2 the price? You made my day. I love a good bargain! ;-)
Glad your feeling better.
When my boys are fighting I take them outside and make them run up and down the street...whatever works right?
That was a great post mommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eleanor
Glad there is light at the end of the tunnel. ((hug))
We can count down together my little ones are driving me nuts.
Glad to hear things are getting better
Oh yeah, I know it well.
Looking up at the clock and figuring how much longer until bedtime?
I am quite sure all their friends go to bed much later than they do (I know the neighbor's kids do), but I need my me time. So get those teeth brushed, kiddies! Mommy's coming to tuck y'all in, like it or not!
Post a Comment