Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Killjoy

Yup, that's me. I HATE Halloween. With a passion. I know, I know....Mother of 4 fun loving kids who adore candy and dressing up should not abhor one of their favorite holidays. For them it is right up there with Christmas and V-day. For me it means the days of angst about costumes leading up to the dreaded night and the days and days of CANDY!

Don't get me wrong. I love candy. Especially chocolate. I just don't like bags of it laying around the house that tempt me at every turn. And I have been known to "sample". My oldest still remembers the year that I "helped" her finish off her loot. She was three and she didn't buy my story about saving her from all of the bad sugar. A woman of a certain age with a fine spread of hip and thigh just doesn't need that kind of temptation.

And then there is the fact that unlike all of the other holidays of the year this one does not have a single shred of significance. Telling them about the ancient festival of Samhain when the veil between the living and the dead thins leaves them cold. There are just no relevant teaching opportunities that come with this holiday, other then lessons about gluttony. That one I need to teach myself!

I do remember loving this holiday as a child but it was a quieter affair. The only costume I can remember being as a child was a hobo or tramp. You just don't see many tramps anymore. In college I was the back end of a Push-Me-Pull-You. You know, the two headed llama creature from Dr. Doolittle. Or was I the front end? My friend was also tall. Our costume consisted of two men's dress shirts that we but on back wards and then were buttoned into at the sides. We were a hit up until the moment that the beer caught up with us and we needed to use the head. Once we were unattached that was the end. It was just too hard to play pool. One of us had to lean over back wards while the other took a shot.

The is a pot of bubbling love on the stove. A pork ragu which takes two hours to simmer down to the proper loveliness. It called for a half a cup of white wine. As the sun is almost over the yardarm here I am going to go pour myself a glass of the remaining vino. Cheers.



My Gyspy, Lady, Vampire and Ballarina

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sampled my way through enough sugar last night to add to my own personal "spread." The kids brought me candy, because they felt sorry for me having to work. There I was, in front of the computer, taking calls, creating brand new fat cells. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dinner sounds lovely. I want some of what you're having!

I'm not a big fan of Halloween either. Not a single Halloween decoration to be seen at our house. I like taking Girlie trick-or-treating but I secretly throw away her candy by the handfull when she isn't looking. Am I a good mother or a bad mother? I am for a fact a blogging again after my hiatus mother.

Meg said...

Very cute...and this is why I just give it up for lost and eat whatever I feel like. Here's the worst part - Brent and I agreed to split Sophia's candy since she's clearly too little to eat any, and since he left me with cleaning up the remnants of Abe Lincoln and him handing her a crunch bar in the backseat that I also had to clean up, I divided it so that he got the crap candy and I got the chocolate. And then I ate it all while watching "Lost" and drinking martinis. Really, when you look at Halloween as having the potential for ending THAT way, doesn't it make it seem better?

Mom Thumb said...

After one Halloween, the kids were eating too much candy, so I hid it. In the oven. Obviously, they never go in there. But later in the day, I had a minor car accident, came home quite distressed and distracted, started to make supper, turned on the oven to pre-heat, smelled burning plastic, ended up flinging two semi-flaming plastic pumpkins full of candy off the deck into a snowbank. My children are scarred for life.

meno said...

you know, i really understand your hate. Other than seeing little kids in costumes, there's not much i enjoy about Halloween.
Of course i feel the same way about Christmas, so i'm just a curmudgeon. Bah!

great story mom thumb.

Princess in Galoshes said...

I hereby decree we should replace Halloween candy with a Halloween pinot noir.

That would make me like the holiday more!

Pollyanna said...

I despise, loathe, and detest Halloween. I however do enjoy the discount candy sales on all the leftover Halloween candy the day after. :) We don't celebrate Halloween. UGH, I hate it.

Funny story by Mom Thumb up there. :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

The best part about cooking with wine...

Adorable kidlets!

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Cute costumes - ESPECIALLY the evil ballarina!

Andrea Frazer said...

It might have been a pain to prepare for, but ya gotta LOVE that picture. I am sensing your holiday photo card in that one with the caption "Hope you don't get scared by any holiday shoppers this year"

Something like that.

I LOVE it! PS: Sorry about constantly missing each other via phone. I'll surprise you one day, like 11pm Xmas eve.

Angel Baby said...

I LOVE that pictures of your kids!!