To be perfectly honest, being a divorced woman with 4 children is hard work. Much harder work then when my ex-DH lived with us back in the good/bad ole' days. Two years ago this week he moved out. One year ago this week the divorce papers were signed. As a result of this double anniversary I have been reflecting on the past year. And since I struggle to stay positive, I have been thinking about the up side of my situation.
So, here is a list of the good things about being single:
- I have one less human being to pick up after.
- I get the bed all to myself.
- No more snoring to keep me awake or wake me up.
- I'm the only one responsible for the foul fart odors under the covers.
- No more hitting the toilet at 3 am to find myself in the toilet, covered with cold, un-flushed toilet water because someone has not put the seat down.
- No more having to fold mens underware to military precision.
- No one rearranges the dishes in the dishwasher so that they are the "right way".
- No more "I'm late"'s.
- I don't have to serve meat at every meal.
- I can read in bed until I want to turn out the light.
- I have sole control of the TV remote and can watch as much PBS as I want.
- Every 2 weeks I get a weekend to myself, without my children.
- No more wondering if there will be money to buy groceries.
- No one changing the position of my seat in the car or the angle of the mirrors.
- One less person to try to please with my cooking.
- The knowledge that I can care for myself, my kids and my house all by myself.
- I never have to be supportive in the face of another diet scheme.
- One less person to care for when they get sick and whine and whine and whine.
- No more bounced checks.
Of course, I am on the lookout for a replacement.
Because frankly, celibacy sucks.


6 comments:
You know, at someone on the front end of all this, it's incredibly reassuring to hear a perspective a few years down the road. And I can tell you that with my scant 3 months' experience with this, the dishwasher thing has already been a joy in my life...;)
:) Good job keeping the postive view of things. I truly truly admire you. I do NOT know how single parents do it. I really don't. I would just wither up and die if I didn't have my husband's help. So YAHOO for you! And I wish my kids had somewhere to go every other weekend, that sounds DIVINE. *L*
Hi Ashley.
Just the not 'having to fold mens underwear to military precision' and not having someone around who 'rearranges the dishes in the dishwasher so that they are the RIGHT way' is enough reason to rejoice. Yay! You're free and you can now find someone more suited to you.
I just recently separated from my husband...I'm thrilled! I guess I'm just not the marrying type. I love my kids...I just can't deal with a man around interfering with my life.
You sound like you do a good job staying positive! Keep on the sunny-side, Lexapro helps. :) So does having a day off.
Yes, the weekends are lovely. And after 12 days of single parenting they save my sanity!
Post a Comment