Saturday, November 18, 2006

Housecleaning...Sucks

My Uncle, Aunt and cousin are arriving on Tuesday from KY for the holiday. Songs around the fire, turkey with all the fixings, a bridge hand or three, too much wine and nonstop talking and laughter. The kids and I are looking forward to their arrival. They will be staying with us which will make for a packed house. AND I AM FREAKING OUT OF MY EVER LOVIN' MIND! My house is a pit. The hardwood floors haven't been wet mopped in months. The only time they get clean is when someone spills something and it has to be wiped up. And I loath wet mopping. Loathe it. That is just one of the many things I have been noticing this past week as I look at my house with an objective eye. The eye of a house guest. And the scales have been sucked from my eyes which rots because now I have to clean. When I signed up for this mothering gig 14 years ago I didn't necessarily also sign up for the housecleaning piece. As much as I have tried to train the kids to pick up after themselves, to put away what they take out it is much like spitting into the wind. And in truth, the picking up part is easy and done around here on a fairly regular basis. Otherwise a person would not be able to walk from one end of the house to other without falling down. It's the dirt, the dust, the dried on food, the grunge and the fingerprints that have me down this morning. The ex has the kids for the weekend and instead of relaxing I will be cleaning. The job is just so overwhelming that I have had to prioritize, knowing deep in my heart that 1)there is just not enough time to do it all 2)that I will run out of stream long before the job is done. So the trick is to pick the projects that will have the most impact. Give me the most bang for my buck. Here are my top three winners:

  • Rent rug cleaner and suck a years worth of spilled crap out of my living room carpet. I do wonder on occasion what the original color was. I know that it wasn't its current shade of blue/gray/brown with spots.
  • Clean the oven. I plan to roast a turkey in it on Thursday and I have heard that a clean oven roasts a better bird. My non-self cleaning oven is foul....ha, ha. As in, it would make your skin crawl. When I bake something I shove it in and slam the door shut fast. No need to dwell on the filth.
  • Clean my refrigeration. Which is encrusted with all manner of dried, petrified foodstuffs. Some of them, like the spilled maple syrup, will take a blow torch to remove.
Well, into the breach I go, Dear Friends. If you never hear from me again send help. I will be the gibbering fool laying in front of my partially clean oven. Update: The living rug is done. Blue, the color is a lovely blue. The color of the water from the stream cleaner...gray. I'm off to take the dog for a walk as the sun is shining for the first time in 10 days. The stove bites the bust when I return.

13 comments:

meno said...

Sometimes i wonder if it would just be easier to burn the house down and start over.
Good luck!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Misery! Hope you got everything done.

Andrea Frazer said...

You can do it! And may I suggest drinking before you start to ease the pain. And bring a girlfriend in to help. It always makes the time go by. And then, when you are really on a roll, check out Brocantehome.com. Hilarious stuff and so inspiring.

Pollyanna said...

I hope you are getting everything done! Getting ready for company is very hard work indeed. I hope it is going well for you. IF you have any leftover energy I am inviting you here as my guest to help ME clean too. (hahahahaha)

Wes said...

Having just gone through a bout of Spring Cleaning myself, I can fully understand AND sympathise.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful of you to clean for us! We don't deserve it, you know. BUT, the really, really, REALLY important thing is to clean out the freezer - you will need lots of space because we're bring the next three years' of Christmas this trip! Enough black raspberry chocolate chip to get you through a lot of hard times!

We can't wait (and isn't it wonderful that Rob will be 4th hand!)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with Meno! :)
As a single woman who has NO BUSINESS having such a mess of a house, I have to tell you the most amazing cleaning product I've ever found is Palmolive Oxy formula. Yes, it is dishwashing soap, but let me tell you, I used it to clean a dried up milk spill in the refrigerator, and loaned it to a friend to get doggie poop out of a rug. There is nothing it can't do!
Good luck!

but Momma said...

UGH! You picked the three worse jobs as your top three!

Rugs done, good for you!

Nobody's gonna look in that oven, don't do it!

Fridge. THHHPTTT, I agree gotta do it, cause your gonna have to have room for the good stuff.

I have a Floormate, it ROCKS...I'm no good at washing the floors unless I do it like Cinderella.

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING with your family!

amusing said...

Cleaning. Morbid.
Thanksgiving. Ditto.
I will be getting beat up in Beantown. Can i come visit you? I'll clean something....(but not very well).

Anonymous said...

I, too, loathe mopping. Hannah does it. I pay her. I don't care if that's good parenting or not, lol.

Good luck!!

Princess in Galoshes said...

My technique is to feed my guests alcohol. Lots, and quickly. They notice dirt a lot less when they're plastered. :-)

Kara said...

Clean the oven? Eh Gads! Not till I move.

Kelly Wolfe said...

It feels great to HAVE cleaned.

Good luck

Lisa