Thursday, November 16, 2006

Reading Turkey

It was another dark, rainy morning here in Portland. For some unexplained reason I found myself wide awake at 5:50 am. Wide Awake. As much as I tried to snuggle back under my down comforter and fall back asleep, I could not. So I turned on my light, put on my reading classes and started in on the new issue of The New Yorker.

10 minutes later a sleepy daughter crawled into bed next to me. After reading quietly for a few minutes I turned the page to a story by one of my favorite writers, Bill Buford, entitled Talking Turkey. Much to the delight of my sleepy daughter I started to read it to her out loud. It is about a man who raised a clutch of wild turkeys and how he claimed that he could talk to his birds. As I was reading along another sleepy daughter joined us.

I read, they listened and we giggled. It was a funny story. Especially the authors account of going turkey hunting and trying to imitate a bush.

Time pressed on us and I was not able to finish the story. We rushed through breakfast and out the door to school.

What a great start to a drippy day!

10 comments:

Bluepaintred said...

i like when the kids join me in bed all bleery eyed. on weekends only. if thye came on a weekday Id fall back asleep and we would be late for EVERYTHING im going to try to google that story to see if I can read it. it sounds funny!

Princess in Galoshes said...

Sounds like it'd be tempting to call in sick and keep reading, eh?

Kelly Wolfe said...

Sounds like an ideal morning to me.

Lisa

Bonnie B said...

What a great start! I'm so happy to stop by.

Andrea Frazer said...

I have to get the New Yorker now. My goal (and I've almost completed it) is to read the Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times cover to cover. I give myself an out with the Sports Page though. However, it does make great window cleaner. My point: you inspire me to read more. And your sense of whimsy and love for your kids is really touching. You sound happier, which is nice. You make me laugh laugh LAugh.

the mystic said...

Sometimes when I think about how much easier life will be when my kids are older, the one thing I always wish would never change is the morning snuggling!

Creative-Type Dad said...

What's this about a talking turkey?

Scribbit said...

I love reading time with my four year-old. It's one of those things I'm going to miss when she's up and grown.

Pollyanna said...

What an AWESOME way to start off the morning! Awesome.

Wes said...

That's so cool. Reading is such a great way to interact with the kids, and I really need to do more of it!