Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Kindness of Stangers

Last night as I was in the last 20 minutes of the cooking dinner, pasta with leeks, peas and sausage in a sauce, there was a loud knock on the front door. Kids and dog went running to investigate followed by the inevitable "MMMooooommmmmmm". Turning the burners down I grumbled my way to the front door. Probably more annoying Mormons, I thought to myself. And sure enough, there they were. Two of the cleanest cut young men imaginable. Black pants, white button down shirts and black wool jackets. Big smiles from both. A quick smile quickly followed by a frown from me. The brush off took this then a minute. And I did feel rather bad when I shut the door and one of them was still talking. It felt rude but I was not about to discuss Jesus becoming my personal savior or the merits of my chosen church versus theirs. Not last night. The kids had been at each others throats all day and I was focused on feeding them and getting them into bed as soon as possible.

Burners back on, I continued to cook. And think. About a time, long ago when my then boyfriend and I were riding our bicycles across the country and found ourselves wet, cold and hungry in the town of Sugar City, Idaho. A 10 year old boy out riding his bike found us huddled in the town park and invited us home for dinner. He never checked with his mother. He just knew that not only would there be enough food but that we would be welcomed. And we were. I have long since forgotten the family name but I do remember that they were Mormon and had what seemed to me to be 500 children. Because of the kindness of strangers we were fed, dry and warm for the first time in days. And very, very grateful.

Last night, as these memories flooded my consciousness, I found myself running out into the dark, cold night. Was I too late? Were they gone? No, I spotted them down the block and took off at a run yelling "Boys! Boys!". They finally heard me and turned around. I couldn't see their faces but I knew by the way they were holding their bodies that they were getting ready to run themselves. A crazy Yankee was running at them yelling. As I drew nearer I promised that I wasn't going to accost them. After I caught my breath I asked them if they were hungry. They nodded cautiously. "I have a deal for you. I would like to invite you to eat dinner with my family...on one condition. You may not proselytize to my children. Agreed?" Their reservations fled, their smiles returned and they eagerly nodded their agreement.

My kids were confused and delighted to find the two strange teenage boys in our kitchen. Elder Dunn and Elder Warren were introduced to my herd. A tour of my very messy house was given while I threw more pasta into the pot and finished dinner. I started to apologize for the mess but they both assured that they came from large families themselves and were no strangers to a cluttered home.

Dinner was served, the candles lit and grace said. They ate as only hungry teenagers can, with gratitude and a kind of frenzied restraint. Both had seconds. It was a lovely meal. Both were well spoken, courteous and patient with my children. They held true to their word but did ask questions about our church which my children were more then happy to answer. A little reverse proselytizing never hurts. They now know more about the Unitarian Universalist Church then most people. My children did me proud. And we all agreed that it was about community, tolerance and love. About trying to lead a moral and ethical life. Turns out that we were on the same page after all.

Bed time drew near and it was time to say good-bye. They asked if I knew of any volunteer activities that I could recommend. Did I ever. They went away with the location of our local soup kitchen, essentials pantry and teen outreach center. I like to think that they also went away with a better impression of Yankees in general.

We all benefited from the encounter. And I have repaid a 23 year old debt.

Feels damn good.

13 comments:

Meg said...

WOW! This is the kind of story that inspires me to try to be a better person iin general...good for you!

Bluepaintred said...

wowzers

I read this : The kids had been at each others throats all day and I was focused on feeding them and getting them into bed as soon as possible.
and thought "oh I've had so may of these days. and then I read the rest and I was just blown away. have you any idea how amazing your kids are going to do as adults?

meno said...

I think about doing things like this, but i never do it. You are amazing.

Anonymous said...

This WAS changing cultural norms! Maybe it's not about breastfeeding or Unitarians, but more about doing what's right in the situation!

Pollyanna said...

That was a AWESOME story. AWESOME. You are AWESOME......:)

Princess in Galoshes said...

I am so impressed. You are one in a million, huge kudos.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you repaid your dept mom. It was fun.

Eleanor

but Momma said...

Great One OTM!

I wish I was your next door neighbor!

Anonymous said...

Great post, hon :)

amusing said...

Tears in my eyes from this wonderful experience. And how nice the world might be if we repaid debts that weren't even actually owed. This is the kind of gesture I would like to make in some form or another (but I would have fretted over the messy house, or my lousy cooking). Bravo for leading by example!

Anonymous said...

Good girl - Bravo! You made me cry... What a wonderful example for not only your children, but the two extra you fed. I'm so impressed. So, so impressed. And in case you're wondering - I don't say that very often.

Mom Thumb said...

What a wonderful story - you are an awesome chick and a wonderful example to your kids!

Andrea Frazer said...

That's an awesome story. INterested in me pitching it to a magazine? I'll give you a split of the profits if it sells. (or if you want to sell it yourself, I'll be happy to read over the query.)