My friend, Jeff, over there on the Cloud, left a comment on my last post to the effect that I was "twitterpated". Thank you, Jeff. Not only have you added a new word to my personal dictionary but I had a ball cruising the Urban Dictionary. I got a real chuckle from "boner coaster".
Let me set the record straight: I am not "in love". Certainly immense like and a huge helping of that other L word are involved, but not love. So, if you look at the definitions of twitterpated here is where I stand on each:
1) no
2) change affection to desire
3) Bingo
4) a large helping of this one.
To be honest, I am not sure that I believe in romantic love anymore. My sister, who visited me yesterday, accused me of having become cynical. I think not. I just choose to reject our popular cultures definition of love. Love, for me, is not the feeling so much as the doing. Love is a verb, an action word.
We walk though our lives alone. This is truth. If we are blessed we find people to walk next to us, to share and grow with us. For however long or short a period of time that may be. If love is an act then it is the act of listening, forgiving, trusting, telling truth and remembering. It is the little, mundane things two people do for each other. Day in and day out. The small acts of giving of ourselves, our time, our attention speak louder then any verbal declarations of love.
So, no, I am not in love. But what has happened to me would not have occured without mutual trust and respect. And what has happened to me is nothing short of a miracle. Definition of "miracle" being an awaking.
And am I ever awake.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Twitterpated
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Beautifully said. Anyone with kids, knows love is definitely a verb and NOT a feeling. Most days anyway...
:)
Disney did a nice job of sidestepping the lust issue with that word in Bambi. The kids thought it was cute. The parents knew the truth.
So glad you're enjoying yourself - it's nice to hear a smile on your face :-)
**cough cough** OHMYGOODNESS. I am happy for you! You lusty woman you.
Somewhere along the way, I decided my dad sharpening the knives for my mom without being asked was love. Little things.
I like your definition of love.
Post a Comment